Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Shop is Born

A Shop is Born

Finally, after many years of planning and procrastination, work has begun on my new shop. First I need to thank my wife for allowing this to happen. My family has been through a lot this year (long story, but hopefully with a good ending to come) and we’ve realized that we need to stop putting off a lot of things until “tomorrow”, because there is no guarantee tomorrow may ever come. Second, I need to thank all of the contributors to the Creek that have posted all of the great shop ideas and pictures over the years. While I haven’t been able to incorporate 100% of the ideas that I wanted, it’s going to be pretty close. I need to state up front that I’m wimping out and contracting out the “shell” so that it’s under roof and closed in before the weather turns. I’ll handle the electric, insulation and interior finishing myself this fall and winter.
    The main workshop area will be 20x30. There will be an additional room for miscellaneous storage and finishing that is 20x12 in the back of the building. On the front side there will be a covered porch area that can be used for working outside on nice days. There will be 4 windows facing into the yard and 2 skylights. The exterior will be a brick and siding mix to match our house. It will also have a hip roof and overhangs, again to match the house. Our lot is narrow, but deep. We wanted to preserve as much of the yard as possible, so the shop will be located on one side of the back yard near a tree line on the east side.

Some of the other features include:
    • Central heat and AC (I wanted radiant floor heat, but will be using standard forced air due to cost constraints)
    • Vaulted ceiling in main shop space to 10 ˝’
    • Half bath with drain stubbed in for future shower
    • Separate electrical service from house
    • Floor outlets for saw and accessories
    The first photo is of the site before any construction (and back in the days when we used to get rain). My boys and I tore down the old swing set since they’re now 17 and 12 and haven’t used it in years. Construction began two weeks ago with the three small trees being removed, the footers being dug and the pad poured. The majority of the framing went up this past week. The trusses and roof should go on this week. The photos are in chronological order. It looks like I'll need to spread the photos over several updates due to size constraints.

I’ll keep posting approximately weekly updates throughout the process.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

More photos

Photos of the slab pour.

Not big enough. Not enough room for tools and some more 'toys'. Doors are too small. Not enough windows. Too many windows. Not enough power. Too close to the house. Not far enough from the house. Walls are too light. Ceiling isn't high enough. Not enough room for a fridge.

I'm just getting you started here. You may want to save these for later and add to the list as you go along.

You're welcome, don't mention it.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

More photos

More of the pour.

More photos

More of the slab and framing. What looks like a door in the side is really a window that the guys were using to move materials in. They'll close in the framing this week.

More photos

More framing and the view from my oldest son's bedroom window. He's so lucky!

looking good, bet you cant wait...
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Not big enough. Not enough room for tools and some more 'toys'. Doors are too small. Not enough windows. Too many windows. Not enough power. Too close to the house. Not far enough from the house. Walls are too light. Ceiling isn't high enough. Not enough room for a fridge.

I'm just getting you started here. You may want to save these for later and add to the list as you go along.

You're welcome, don't mention it.

Hey Mitchell - That may all be true...except for the part about the fridge!

Ah,yes.......Man Cave

Charlie....Congratulations! Enjoy the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Looks great Charlie. I think its going to be really nice.

Shop

Charlie....Congratulations! Looking forward to more posts. Tom

Congrats, these shop build threads are killing me, I keep getting so close to starting then I change my mind about something and redesign, I need to get buiding already!

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Roth View Post
    Ah,yes.......Man Cave
    No. Men's Crisis Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Congrats, these shop build threads are killing me, I keep getting so close to starting then I change my mind about something and redesign, I need to get buiding already!
    Yep. Don't let the quest for perfection get in the way of progress.