Thread: Birch

Birch

My aunt is taking down 3 birch trees. These are probably 40 years old and maybe 30" diameter at the base. I would like some opinions on turning this wood-should I get it all? Also, would it be beneficial to wait until later in the year to cut it down? Thanks for your ideas.
    Bob

The birch I just got is pretty plain but it turns and finishes nicely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Bob,

I got some birchfrom a tree about that size from a friend of my wife's that she had cut down in her yard and I love it! Birch of this size is very rare where I live. I posted a bowl from it recently, and will be posting three others in the near future. Maybe I just got lucky but there is good color variation between heartwood and sapwood, and some curl and even some bird's eye. Turns great, finishes great also. Your best bet for curl will probably be low in the tree. Also crotch pieces show great grain. I would get all I can.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Bob I would get as much as I could get. It varies in color and really turns nicely. I have had some that had darker heartwood and have had some that was just a plain jane color which you can have some fun with dye or coloring. IMHO the only reason I would wait till fall/winter is if I were going to make a lot NE bowls. The bark seems to stay on better for me if done in the middle of winter.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bob

I know there is no use for a 24" diameter bowl but here is your opportunity to turn one. Big platters are more useful than giant bowls. Harvest a few giant blanks and get them roughed.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.

Birch

Birch also spalts readily and can be quite striking. However, you do have to keep an eye on it because it can go punky rather quickly.

Bob - I've turned a lot of White Birch and love it! You can get some plain wood or end up with some curly stuff - you just never know. The wood is easy to turn, takes a great finish and can be dyed very easily. Like Joe mentioned - it is easy to spalt the wood and that makes for some really wild markings.

Given a chance - get all you can! Be sure to seal it ASAP as it will check on you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If it is in good shape (not rotten) I would trade my stash of fresh black cherry for the birch (ok, and if there wasn't a 4 hour flight between us). Get all you can, especially for larger bowls and hollowforms.

Thanks folks. I signed up for the whole batch. Looking to take down in late Oct. Y'all stop by and I'll be glad to share. You'll know when it happens from the gloat (with pic's, of course).