Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Smith Mark 5 vs. Individual tools

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Spend the $3K on new seperates. Add a $200 used MarkV later on. Best of both worlds.

I do like my mark V for sanding.
    This, I see used Shopsmiths for cheap all the time...

Having owned a ShopSmith for around 35 years, I can attest to it's durability and usefulness for a hobbyist like myself.
    That being said, if I were starting over, I'd go with stand alone machines.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

well, Ive got a super shop Ive had to retool several parts to make it work well.
    The best thing about it is the lathe and 12 in. disc sander. It can machine light metals but vibrates to much as a metal lathe. The add on tools are much to expensive compared to a stand alone, Boy due I miss my cheep craftsman table saw ! Ill keep the machine if I ever have more room, but stand alone are the way to go. I have half a garage to work in with every thing I own on wheels and no room or $ left for wood !

It looks like this tool is a redundancy in your shop, Id get that expensive paraphernalia you've been eyeballing for so long. The stuff you wax over and polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I finally worked my way through the SS site - the new electronic headstock is almost $2000 alone!!! Trade-ins, upgrading an older unit, or DIY installation in an older unit, reduce the cost some. It appears they designed the controller with a lot of nice functions, but you can buy a new, larger 3hp motor and a VFD that does almost as much for A LOT LESS!!!!

I didn't see what a new,complete SS with the electronic headstock costs, but probably at least $3500. The standard, Reeves drive, machine sells for $3100 and a replacement standard headstock sells for $1600
    Shopsmith is a frame 48 I believe. Impossible to find a 2 to 3 hp motor in that size!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wellner View Post
    Shopsmith is a frame 48 I believe. Impossible to find a 2 to 3 hp motor in that size!
    A different frame never stopped me from mounting a motor. Might need to fabricate a new lower motor housing and it would certainly be a Frankensmith, but could be done. Bottom line, if indeed the motor is variable reluctance DVR motor by NOVA, Shopsmith is asking a lot of money for it.

For the lathe functionality, I recommend the delta 1460 lathe. Upgrade with a 150 dollar vfd, and an el cheapo three phase motor, and you will be ready for a while to come. I think that you would need to spend a lot more money to get much better performance. (unless you like big bowls, then you would just need to spend the money)

The only problem with these machines, in my opinion, is the XXX XXXXs (expletive deleted) who buy them and sell them as parts on fleabay. They are worth more dead than alive.

Once speculators or collectors involve themselves in anything, it's all over.

Started wit the SS.

Built a lot of furniture with it but had separate jointer and planer. I would look at getting a decent table saw and the Griz combo 12" planer/jointer if space and the budget won't allow separates. With those three tools you can do most anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    For the lathe functionality, I recommend the delta 1460 lathe. Upgrade with a 150 dollar vfd, and an el cheapo three phase motor, and you will be ready for a while to come. I think that you would need to spend a lot more money to get much better performance. (unless you like big bowls, then you would just need to spend the money)

The only problem with these machines, in my opinion, is the XXX XXXXs (expletive deleted) who buy them and sell them as parts on fleabay. They are worth more dead than alive.

Once speculators or collectors involve themselves in anything, it's all over.
    Like this?

About 35 years ago I bought all of the shopsmith tools and the accessories. Even as a hobbyist I got tried of the conversions, although it only took a few minutes.
    I bought the stands and motors, for each tool. With that, working was better, but not really enjoyable. I still have all of it, but the wear and tear have taken their toll. Now I prefer other brands of single purpose machines. Take the $3000 and go with good quality single purpose machines. You will be IMO ahead of the game.