Thread: Just can't stop turnin' pens..............

Just can't stop turnin' pens..............

Last summer, I cut up a Maple log that was VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY Spalted. I made some (although rough) pen blanks.

I took one out last weekend and started to do a pen. About 1/2 bottle of CA and several hours of work over four days, 15 coats of French polish and five of Briwax, this is what I got.

The first picture also shows how spalted the blanks are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Bruce, you have more patience then I do.

I have decided that there is too many other nice woods out there to use then to spend so much time and energy fixing this spalted stuff. So once it blows up I turn it down to the brass and use another type of wood.

But you did a very nice job on this one.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Thumbs up

You done Good Bruce!!
    Very nice looking pen!!
    That spalted stuff can be a bear sometimes glad you had good results!
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Nice work bruce.
    Have you ever used minwax wood hardener? Bill grumbine turned me on to it and used it on a VERY spalted maple burl and took out some pen blanks as well from it. It soaks in real nice almost as thin as water and hardens up pretty quick. Cheaper than cyano at 8 or 9 dollars a bottle for about 20 oz at Home Depot. I haven't turned the stuff but no doubt that it is pretty stable now.

Thanks John I'll Give it a try. I cut about 40 blanks and hate to lose them.

Bruce

A lot of work Bruce but the results were certainly worth it. That is a fine looking pen.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great Job, Bruce - They look fantastic.

John, Thanks for the tip, next time I am in the BORG, I'll have to get some.
    Last edited by Kurt Aebi; 12-15-2004 at 10:11 AM.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

. About 1/2 bottle of CA and several hours of work over four days, QUOTE]

Let's see, does that make it "wood with CA" or is it "CA with wood?"

Bpb
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

I woulld saw 50-50, but most of the C came off as it was turned, so it's wood with Some CA.

Bruce

Nice work, Bruce! I have not tried any spalted wood yet....mainly 'cause I don't have any! LOL Besides I need to learn to deal with unspalted first, I suppose. LOL

A woodturner told me once to never start turning pens, and I asked him why. He said if you do, that is all you will turn. You are doing a beautiful job with that wood.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Very nice Bruce, you have more patience then I do.

I have decided that there is too many other nice woods out there to use then to spend so much time and energy fixing this spalted stuff. So once it blows up I turn it down to the brass and use another type of wood.

But you did a very nice job on this one.
    Dick,
    To recover your tubes do you turn all the way to the brass, or almost to the brass and then chip or sand the wood off? I haven't tried this but I have two tubes in blown out cedar I would like to reuse. Still trying to learn the tricks here and got a long way to go!

I know I'm not Dick, Carole, but I usually grab my skew and Gently rub all the wood off. If there is any glue left, I use sandpaper, while it is still on the lathe.

BTW, at Woodcrafts turn-a-thon, someone said to load the mandrel with three blanks and no bushings, snug them up, but NOT TOO TIGHT, bring in the tail stock, turn the lathe on and sand the varnish off. Man ........ that has saved me a lot of time and effort.

Bruce

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA
    Have you ever thought about getting them Stabalized? I don't turn any pen blanks without this process anymore. Only problem is that it has a slight yellowing/darking effect on light woods.

Jim from Idyllwild CA

I stopped at "The Borg" and picked up two cans of the Minwax Wood Hardener. Now I have a question. What I would like to do is cut and drill the blanks that require stabilizing then dip them in the hardener. I was wondering if the hardener would be ok in a plastic bowl as a dip tank?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Bruce