Thread: Raster vs Vector misalignment

Raster vs Vector misalignment

I have a troubling issue that is making me nuts... I believe the problem has existed since I have owned my Epilog, but I have just now pinpointed the issue.

I have cut a tool (using the laser) that holds many circular objects for rastering. The raster images never line up - like 1/8 inch off, which is terrible for this application. I suspected my tool was warping during cutting, but it has not - if I re-run the vectors that cut the tool, they align correctly.

My file is in X3, and has a guides layer that contains the circles that originally cut the tool. I align my raster images into these circles, and then send the raster layer to the engraver.

The most troubling thing is that the raster layer is not simply relocated compared to the vector - the misalignment is off one direction in one corner, and a different direction in another corner, etc.

Does this sound like a software glitch? driver? engraver? I'M FREAKIN OUT
    Epilog Legend 32 70W, Rotary, CDR X5, DCS 1324 Substrate Printer, various dye sub.

I don't use layers but I'm wondering if your table size is the same on each layer--it may well be impossible not to have identical layers. The problem sounds like a drawing page size versus table page size issue.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Harper,
    How about posting your file and the dimensions of your laser bed. I can't imagine why it would happen but anything is possible.

Gary

First..did you ask Epilog Tech support?

This item is found under the Maintenance Key on my EXT.
    Also, I went through something similar not long ago and found out that my home position calibration was off enough to cause a problem. This too can be adjusted under Maintenance.
    4. Calib. X Encoder
    This feature automatically calibrates the system so that Raster and Vector images are
    perfectly aligned to each other. This is a one time factory setting that will not
    normally be used outside of the factory.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I had a call in to Epilog when I posted. They returned the call a while later, and of course it started working fine... Didn't even mess with any settings.

I tried EVERYTHING I could think of beforehand, still don't know what caused it. I sure hope it doesn't come back!
    Epilog Legend 32 70W, Rotary, CDR X5, DCS 1324 Substrate Printer, various dye sub.

I have this happen every so often, usually after I laser outdoor plastic. (it creates a very fine
    dust.)

The problem is that dust gets in the grooves of the belt which in turn gets in the gear/grooves of the X motor.

If you take the X motor out you will be able to see the build up.

I find a strong pin or a needle seems the best way to scrape out the grooves.

Then I clean the encoder strip, the sensor that runs on the strip
    and for good measure run the X calibration.

I have to do this everytime I run a sheet or two with the outdoor material.

It sounds like a lot of work but it only takes about 15 min or so once
    you do it a couple times.

This may not be your issue, but it's still good to know.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!