Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No Soup for You

I have been really impressed with the Bad Axe line of saws. I hope to order my first one soon. Maybe you should give that fellow's website a look. He has received praise from all the big names in wood working.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    Hmm. I'm in the midst of my own saw project now and kind of sympathize with anyone making these by hand. But for enough money, it might be okay. So here's a deal George: Send me $800, the pictures of the saws you wanted, and their specifications, and I'll make them for you within a reasonable amount of time. I'll post the progress here on Sawmill creek to show what I did and how I did it. Deal?
    They are not as easy to make as they look, that's certain - especially to make an acceptable tote. But if you did it for a living, it's likely the things that are troubling you wouldn't be troubling you. The learning curve for making tools is steep at first, but much flatter later. There is some nice handwork in the lunn saws, but it's not like there is several days worth of it or something.

I'd be an extremely unhappy camper were I the OP, too. Saying you'll do something and then not doing it (especially after a long period of time) is not remotely close to acceptable - especially as you continue to back value out of the tool while raising prices by large amounts. Fortunately, there aren't too many makers like that in the hand tool world.

I've had an issue with a custom guitar maker that's similar, but even then, the maker was referred to as someone to avoid after I asked around.

There are so many great boutiques out there, I would not waste my time worrying about it. I have a Wenzloff panel saw, and it is wonderful. I had some technique issues to iron out at first (thanks SMC), but I have worked those out and now I love the saw. I hope to keep it working for me for the next 50 years.

Well a lively discussion. I do want to be clear on this point. Andrew's saws are magnificent and worth the price. He actually, in my opinion, applying an eastern handmade philosophy to western saws. Hand hammered, hand set, carefully hand filed. I think this is fascinating. My only issue was I feel I deserved better treatment. I sincerely hope Andrew and his business make a great go of it. I felt a little understanding of the customer's point of view would have been nice and if a complaint over a renege is raised, albeit perhaps too strongly, a little empathy is in order. This whole thing could have been avoided with just a little assurance and understanding. I am not going to Woodworking in America because, well the whole trip would be ruined for me now. I am sure he will have many new saw products which will only make me think "Hey why didn't you make mine first!" I am just disappointed and pissed off.
    Thanks for listening and thanks for the comments.
    George
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

I seem to recall similar "testiness" in Mr. Lunn's response to some posts on Swartz's blog when the saws first hit the market (I know it got heated with the price increase from $250 to $350). I feel the OP has the right to be a bit burned since the price doubled, with features omitted with a placed order.

Many good saws on the market and many good saw guys out there to tweak what you buy into what you want. Maybe a new thin plate LN or Gramercy, tweaked by Daryl Weir or Mr. Bad Axe or Mike Wenzloff?

I have googled Lunn saws. My opinion is that you are very lucky to not be getting one. Their handle designs are very poor,and the blade etchings are quite childish. I do not know him,but his work does not please me at all.

You would be very well advised to buy a LN or Wenzloff saw.

George, I thought you were beeing a little hard on Lunn saws, but I went to the website, you are correct, they do look like a 5th grader designed them.....I would get a Wenzloff
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I am strictly telling the truth,and have no horse in this race. You have eyes to see. Some do not.

Give Mark at BadAxe a shout. I've bought from him and have been very pleased with the saw and the interaction with the man himself.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Hi George,

I feel your pain. I ordered my saw so long ago I can't remember when that was, but it was at the first price with all the fancy doodads. Well, since then, Andrew has 3 times emailed me asking for my hand measurement and preference of handle wood along with a brief description of it's intended use. In each of these emails was a promise to start the saw within days. I just took it that this poor man is overly backed up and can't see his workbench for the shavings lol.

That was all fine and good till a 4th email demanding to know if I was still interested in a saw or not. Silly me, I thought the previous 3 conversations (email) we had had would have clarified, that yes I am interested. Next came the first price hike and dropping the embellishments.....still OK by me, but didn't hear anymore about my saw.

Like you, this week I received the $500 email...........at this point that email went into the round file. There are just too many good saws out there to keep this up any longer. I have saws from just about every other major maker out there, so at this point receiving an eccentric saw would do nothing to improve my kit.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Well,Raney,I find it regretful when people get charged a load for something that just isn't worth it.

For example,I know intimately about a customer who got charged $30,000.00 for a silver bread basket. They took it to a leading silver company to get it appraised for insurance purposes. They were rightfully informed that the workmanship was so poor that the piece was worthless except for the scrap value of the metal. Do you think that's right?

Do you think it's incredibly distasteful that Consumer Reports evaluates all kinds of products,warning consumers about bad points? I subscribe to that magazine,and consult it before I buy any large purchase.

What I say is my opinion,but I am fully qualified to have one in this matter.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-08-2010 at 10:12 PM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have googled Lunn saws. My opinion is that you are very lucky to not be getting one. Their handle designs are very poor,and the blade etchings are quite childish. I do not know him,but his work does not please me at all.

You would be very well advised to buy a LN or Wenzloff saw.
    +1

George, you are right on target as far as I'm concerned.

I guess Raney deleted his post. I do understand where he was coming from. I probably sound like I'm being arrogant,and really beating the guy up. My intention is honestly to be helpful to the folks who might be plunking down big bucks for a tool that I can see isn't worth it. I never charged that kind of money myself!! But,it's not the money anyway. It's what you are getting for it.

I've never criticized Holtey for charging HUGE prices for his planes. They are absolutely immaculate,and if someone wants to pay that price,so be it. Some might think that LN tools are very expensive. I think they are extremely well made,and I have purchased several of their planes.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-08-2010 at 9:35 PM.

14. I did delete my post, but in the interest of 'the record' what I said was that I always find it distasteful when one craftsman trashes another's work publicly. Especially when the other is not around to respond.

(and George - if Consumer Reports manufactured refrigerators, their refrigerator reviews would seem a bit different, no?)

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    But,it's not the money anyway.
    When it becomes all about the money to the point that you're backing up on customers and creating ill will, you have to wonder if the maker has decided it's not that fun to do it for a living.

I would never want to do it unless I was really hungry and that was the only way to get food.

Deadlines and dollars can take the fun out of a lot of things.