Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New (very old) Christiansen Co. Workbench

My New (very old) Christiansen Co. Workbench

I responded to an ad off of CL the other day about a Woodworker's Bench for sale locally, from the ad I could tell that it was something special and definitely needed an extra look. I shot an e-mail off and set up a time to go take a look.

I went over this morning and looked over the bench, the owner said that he had done some work for an older lady and took it in as payment. He had about a 7' long piece of bowling lane that he was going to build a new bench with so this oldie needed to go, I was just the guy to help with that!

I cannot find anything to date the bench, but was able to come up with a 1908 Popular Mechanics ad:

The bench is in great condition, and only requires a new handle for the face vise which will be a great project for my new lathe! The vises and drawer work well after a quick "lubing" with beeswax. The top is in fairly good shape and has 100 years of patina, I love old tools and this is much prefered to building my own! The only place on the bench that might use some attention is replacing the piece with the bench dogs cut into it, but I don't think it is needed immediately, it appears that this piece is seperate from the rest of the bench.

The bench measures 75" x 25" end to end (not including the vise), the working surface is 16" deep. The face vise opens to 14".

Ok, enough talking and on to some pictures...

(The vise on my outfeed table, seen in the forefront, also might be a 1908 model, also made in the Chicago area).

Close up of the maker's badge.

Shot of the base, which I believe is beech.

Shot of the face vise.

With the vise opened, it is pretty neat how it is loosely assembled which allows for racking.

Bottom of the face vise.

Tail vise.

Tail vise open.

Bottom of tail vise.

View of table, while it is nowhere near smooth, overall it is flat and I am just going to leave it the way it is.

And the price, only $300, which I think was a smoking deal. Heck I couldn't even get the vise hardware for a new bench for that much.

A couple hours ago a nearly identical bench was posted on CL, this gent was claiming the bench to be worth between $2500-3000, but he was looking for offers. I responded saying that I just paid $300 for one and that that was apparently market value, he replied that we were worlds apart. I am happy that I was able to save this from some "hipster" making it a kitchen island in downtown Chicago....

Thanks for looking!

I seem to have turned a strange color of green suddenly. . .

Nice find!
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I've been looking for one of these to put in my dining room as a wine bar. I'll give you $3500 for it.

Blog Entries
    What a great score.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

WOW, thats a one in a life time kinda deal
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I've been looking for one of these to put in my dining room as a wine bar. I'll give you $3500 for it.
    There are hipsters in SLC too?????

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    WOW, thats a one in a life time kinda deal
    And hopefully I will get a lifetime of use out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    There are hipsters in SLC too?????

And hopefully I will get a lifetime of use out of it...
    Salt Lake is far more hip than most guess. It is full of microbreweries, xeriscaping, priuses, art galleries and gentrified neighborhoods of turn-of-the-century bungalows. The more culturally conservative crowd and the large families fled for the suburbs decades ago.

It's nice to see it going to someone who knows how to appreciate it.

Nice score....worthy of a huge "you SUCK"!!!! ;-)
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

The one woodworking tool I realy need is a good bench. I will give you $325 for it and you will have made a quick $25. proffit. Generous aint I?

That beautiful old bench is a major score, congrats.

Workbench

What a wonderful find. I am glad you got it. Tools were made to be used; not converted to some other use like hanging on the wall of a cafe as "decor". Enjoy it.

It needs a plate of cheese and a bowl of grapes... And why is it in your shop... I am just amazed that you put it out there where it will get ruined...

now...

go put that workbench in your dining room and use it as a buffet like a good pretentious interior decorator would.

no really. great score... Most of us figure you saved about $2200.00 bucks buying it. !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    no really. great score... Most of us figure you saved about $2200.00 bucks buying it. !!!!
    Can you convince my wife of that? I picked up some other great steals the other week, the excuse I got a great deal is starting to lose its' luster.

Nice find!

just show her this.

http://www.harpgallery.com/showroom/item6741.html

nuff said.