Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gas pump mfgrs.

gas pump mfgrs.

When are the gas pump mfgrs going to wise up? I mean, install a device similar to the ones found on snack and cold drink machines. It could read a 1,5 or 10 dollar bill. The pump clicks on programmed to dispense that much fuel and shut itself off. none of this'withdraw card quickly', no zip code, no ;see cashier', Just put in your money, get your gas and go. Boy, are we creekers smart or what? Maybe the word is Avant garde or something like that. Max

IIRC as a child in the 50's I can remember my Dad paying for gas in Wyoming using silver dollars that the gas pumps accepted.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A fuel filled atm.. hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    When are the gas pump mfgrs going to wise up? I mean.....
    They have. The cost to harden a gas pump/cash vault against theft is prohibitively expensive. Emptying the cash at the end of the day is hazardous to the employee's health too.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but that's the way it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 09-06-2010 at 1:06 PM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

It would be nice to be able to specify at the pump the amount of fuel to be dispensed, either in dollars or gallons.

Buttons like that would be nice--it always confuses the clerk at our local station when I say I want 10 gallons of diesel. I've had to do the calculation myself for the really dumb ones.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-06-2010 at 8:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspar Hauser View Post
    A fuel filled atm.. hmm..

Hey, it will save the thieves some time! Get gas, steal the atm.
    I have this mental picture of an old beat up pickup truck dragging this contraption behind it by chain, with the gas hose and nozzle bouncing behind it on the 10:00 news Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Had gas pumps like that in Milwaukee ... about 1965 or so.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Not for cash, but these pumps exist. In Australia, for ages they have had buttons for a cash amount of gas (petrol) to dispense. It's been about five years since I was last there, but they have had them for a couple of decades (at least). As I recall, there was a 5, 10, 20, (maybe 50), and a Fill It option. You paid inside or with an ATM card at the pump.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

There was a line of stores in South Carolina a few years back that had those, I don't know if they still do.

Why make it easy to pay cash at the pump when they can get you to use there credit card at 21% interest.

Would be handy to just put in a bill at the pump.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Dispensing the change is where it gets complicated.
    You know someone is going to insert a ten and their car is only going to take $7.41.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think those in charge are trying to get rid of paper money. Can't track people when they use it....

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    I think those in charge are trying to get rid of paper money. Can't track people when they use it....

They're making tin foil hats much thinner these days too. I wear two when I go outside.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Doesn't ARCO have pumps that takes bills? Maybe it was another chain, but I have seen pumps that take bills.

I don't understand the fascination with paying with cash. Cash can easily be lost or stolen. I usually carry a minimal amount of cash and pay everything via credit card. My credit card is paid in full at least once a month and often multiple times a month.

I know there is the merchant fee, but cash and checks cost money to handle too. All the armored trucks you see aren't free and banks sometimes charge businesses for deposits. Small businesses like cash because they probably handle the deposits themselves. (They also may not report it all to the IRS.) Debit cards are the least expensive way to take money electronically if they aren't processed like a credit card.