Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: let's talk about ketchup

let's talk about ketchup

Yes, ketchup. This is a bit long winded. Please, bear with me.

Ever notice that ketchup out of the squeeze bottles in your home just never really tastes right? You have ketchup at the boardwalk at the beach. It's ketchup. You get it at McDonalds in little packets(not that I ever eat there....but I remember!). It's ketchup! Ketchup ketchup ketchup. Wonderful, smooth, sweet, addictive ketchup!!

You try the stuff from the store. it says "Heinz". It's red. It looks like ketchup. It acts like ketchup. Stains like ketchup. Then you put it on you're fries, and it doesn't quite taste the same, does it? No? You convince yourself that it's all in your head. "Oh, it just tastes better out of the packet because it's not as cold".

Poppycock. Balderdash. Nonsense. Bah Humbug!

I recently travelled through Canada. No where of great note. Anyone familiar with Sault St Marie or Pembroke? There's a certain little town between Sault St Marie and Pembroke that was in our line of fire. We were hungry, and there, right there, was this wonderful little town...out of nowhere...with a marvelous little restaurant. And I do mean marvelous. The ambiance was great. The food was better. Cheap, too. I wish we didn't have so many miles to drive...I would have had a couple of beers and spent the night. Somewhere else...I don't think there was a hotel. Anyhow, the wife ordered fries with her meal, and thus began my revelation.

The ketchup...ah, the KETCHUP. Out of a squeeze bottle, just like my squeeze bottle home, came this glorious, smooth, sweet (with no after taste) ketchup. The ketchup of the gods. It's as though this waitress spent hours opening packets of ketchup to refill her "not packaged for resale" bottles, raided all the nearby boardwalks (there are no boardwalks, by the way), and delivered, for my french fry eating pleasure, the ketchup of my childhood. The ketchup that makes me think of sand and salt, or mom taking me for my McNuggets! Ketchup. Ahhhhhhhhh.

So what the heck?

A brief glance at the ingredients.....what's this? Liquid sugar? Liquid sugar? Where's my high fructose corn syrup?? Could this be the secret?

Yeah, you bet. High fructose corn syrup in your ketchup makes it taste like that garbage you have in you're refrigerator. You want it to taste good? Order you're ketchup from Canada. What's that you say? You don't want to order it from a distributor that will only sell it in cartons of 24? There's a solution.

Remember these words:

"Simply Heinz"

The Simply Heinz product is made with sugar. What's that? It's a new fangled substitute for high fructobladidiblah stuff. Yes, actual sugar. This is the ketchup I know and love.

For you hippies, there's a Heinz Organic as well.

The wife likes the Organic better. It's a bit thinner and has a stronger tomatoey flavor to it. The Simply Heinz has more of the "packet from the boardwalk" flavor to it (which I prefer). I now have both varieties in my fridge. The regular, ridiculously awful, Heinz merely languishes. We'll serve that to the guests at our next barbecue.

If I can save but one person from having to eat one more ruined french fry, I will have served my purpose on this planet.

I'll have to try it - the Simply Heinz.

My wife thinks I'm nuts because I won't touch anything other than Heinz.

Hunts - blech!!!!

Generic "house brand" - double blech!!!!

I guess I owe my wife an apology for even thinking - no matter how wistfully - that she'd been secretly sneaking other "stuff" into my half empty Heinz bottles

John. Make your own.

http://www.pickyourown.org/ketchup.htm
    http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0905e.htm
    http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/200...emade-ketchup/

None of these are like the recipe my MIL used about 20 years ago. She had it in her head from when she was a girl on a farm, outhouse and all. It was pretty good as I remember. She only made it once.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

thanks for this post, John. I, too thought it was all in my mind.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

There are very few foods I HATE in all forms. They are, in order:

ketchup
    mayonnaise
    "miracle whip" (not sure that's food)

That's it I guess. I have never tried SPAM. I thought it was an urban legend until I was in my 20s and I went to Costco and saw it there. I honestly thought it didn't exist--that it was a joke like snipe hunting.

Thanks so much for the info, John. When I was a very small child I ate ketchup on everything, even Cheetos. I actually had fries with my ketchup, not the other way around. When I was around five or so my evil cousin, Randy (may God rest his soul), told me that the key ingredient in ketchup was blood. I didn't touch ketchup again until about two years ago. Yes, I knew the truth much earlier but I couldn't remember why I liked ketchup. Now I'm a Heinz gal! Ditto on the Hunts = blech!!! I'll have to try Heinz in the little package as I must admit I have no idea if it tastes different. I will, however, defer to your wisdom on this.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

John - thanks for the detailed alanysis. Much more useful than the 1,294th cabinet saw comparison. When are you tackling the store-bought versus ball park mustard conspiracy?

Zach - Dude. I think we need to see your birth certificate. If you ever head south to AZ, we'll have to put Sherrif Arpaio on your tail, and send you back wherever you came from.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    John - thanks for the detailed alanysis. Much more useful than the 1,294th cabinet saw comparison. When are you tackling the store-bought versus ball park mustard conspiracy?

Zach - Dude. I think we need to see your birth certificate. If you ever head south to AZ, we'll have to put Sherrif Arpaio on your tail, and send you back wherever you came from.

I think the mustard conspiracy should have it's own thread.

Kent, cut Young Zach a little slack! He's lived a very deprived life. He's never rolled change and cashed it in, and I bet he's never eaten Deviled Ham.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Zack, dude.....

Spam. Slice it about 1/4", slowly fry it in butter til just a bit crusty. Serve on rye toast with mayo. Heart attack on a plate.

Really, Spam's not any worse than hot dogs, sausage, haggis, deviled ham.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I was actually born in Texas, if you can believe that.

I think most, if not all, the packets today are HFCS these days. It's been a while since I've eaten fast food. I'm digging up memories from my childhood.

Why God invented Mayo........

FYI - we are coming up on Vidalia Onion season not too long from now.

2 slices of bread. 1/2" slab of Vidalia onion. Lotsa mayo.

Lunch.

Beat that with a stick.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Lunch.

Beat that with a stick.
    You forgot the slab of home grown tomato still warm from where you pulled it off the vine! Life doesn't get much better.

Lunch.

Beat that with a stick.

As a matter of fact, the Vidalia Onion Festival was a couple of weeks ago. Did you miss it, Kent?

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Yes, ketchup. This is a bit long winded. Please, bear with me.
    If you want long winded on ketchup, you need to read Malcolm Gladwell's (He of "Outliers" and "Tipping Point" fame) article on ketchup.

(If you want to skip through, just read section 3, which talks a bit about the history of ketchup and how Heinz changed that, and section 4, which explains about the 5 primal tastes in the human palate)

If I can save but one person from having to eat one more ruined french fry, I will have served my purpose on this planet.
    It's nice to have goals...

...art (who did not really know that his ketchup was any different than yours. I shall have to check the bottle ingredients. However I can say that "President's Choice" ketchup here is pretty close to Heinz.)
    "It's Not About You."