Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ash Vase

Mark, good decision on not using the dye on this one - gorgeous wood!! Can't tell, but I imagine the dyed inside really enhances the overall appearance. The rim treatment is a real eyecatcher, and fits the piece perfectly. You do such a great job on the vase forms.

Mark,
    All of the above but one thing that you might want to do on the next one is to take the point of a skew a make a line at the bottom of the burn marks so the burn lines all looked stopped in the same plane. Nice work, beautiful piece.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    The great grain alignment, the continuous curve, the mouth treatment and the flawless finish truly inspired by the Master's hand. Thanks for showing it Mark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Mark,
    All of the above but one thing that you might want to do on the next one is to take the point of a skew a make a line at the bottom of the burn marks so the burn lines all looked stopped in the same plane. Nice work, beautiful piece.
    Bill
    Good suggestion, Bill. The problem was I didn't notice the heat checks until after it was off the lathe. I thought about burning a line as you have described, but decided to just leave it as is. I think your suggestion is a good one and would make it look more like a collar.

Simply beautiful, Mark. Love the pureness of the ash and the branding of the collar. Pretty form and finish as well.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Beautiful vase. I love the way the shape so closely approximates the grain. I have yet to succeed in accomoplishing that!

Not fond of the term, but Organic really comes to mind. One amazing piece Mark...hard to stop looking at it!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great looking piece! Easy to understand why you didn't dye that outside.
    Billy