Thread: Cedar urn

Cedar urn

This was an experiment with turning cedar.

It is made of aromatic cedar. It is about 6 inches wide and 7 inches to top of the finial.

The bowl was easy, but cedar is tough to get sharp features on the finial. It keeps wanting to splinter and chip.

I love working with aromatic cedar, it smells so good. I left the inside of the bowl unfinished, so the cedar would still smell good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neat idea. Cedar would be a really tough wood for fine detail work because it's so soft

I love the smell of cedar... I can almost smell that piece from here.

Chris the vessel is beautiful!! I love the form the segmented approach and the finish. I wonder if a different material with a bit more height used for the finial would have set it off better.(just a personal opinion) Overall a very definite "A".
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Nice and a question?

Chris, That is really nice! I've had some problems finishing cedar. What did you use? Were there any problems with gluing the segments; what did you use? I do the same thing with not finishing the inside to keep that nice cedar smell going.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I envy you guys with a sense of smell!! Well, most times!

Great work on the segmentation. I would have to agree on a contrasting wood for the finial, but I admire your willingness to try to get detail on the cedar - that would be challenging.

I flooded on about 3 coats of Formby's Tung oil finish. First coat or two were really thirsty, especially end grain. Spray on Poly 2 coats of gloss.

I always use Titebond II for my segmented pieces. No adhesion problems with cedar, but you need to use plenty, because the wood soaks it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    Chris, That is really nice! I've had some problems finishing cedar. What did you use? Were there any problems with gluing the segments; what did you use? I do the same thing with not finishing the inside to keep that nice cedar smell going.
    Ditto on what did you use. You have a great finish on a great looking vessel. I finished turning a cedar bowl today and have an initial coat of Danish Natural Oil on it but I am not sure what I will finish it with once that is dry. I was thinking maybe shaker can poly since I happen to have some. My last cedar bowl "Sails" was finished with CA but this one is much larger.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice bowl of Juniper Chris, though I don't care for the finial, just my hangup I suppose.
    We do love the smell of the Juniper over here as well, all the shavings are hauled into the house and will give it's pleasant aroma for months afterward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_virginiana
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Chris; I'll give that a try. I've started using only shellac on cedar as I was having problems with other finishes not "curing" on it. Shellac always works for me.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Chris that is a beautiful piece. I agree with the finial with contrasting wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The finial is rather crude and blocky. Hard to get fine detail with that cedar. (sorry, Juniper. Oh, well, one man's Osage Orange is another man's Hedge)

Pretty cool! Really nice joinery and I love the rich color! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!