Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosia Maple Hollow Form

Ambrosia Maple Hollow Form

This isn't my first hollow form, but it is certainly the most difficult that I have taken on.
    My focus is on skill development, so my only concession to specialty tools on this is the use of a swan neck scraper to reach inside the top shoulder. I understand that there are lots of clever tools that would have made this much easier. I believe that it is better for me to master the skills first rather than rely on tooling that makes it possible to get the results without the judgement that comes from experience.
    The dimensions of this piece are 7" diameter by 2.5" height including the foot. The inside finish is still not to my satisfaction, but the walls were getting too thin (less than 1/8") so I decided that it was better to stop with the piece intact.
    As always comment and critique are welcomed.
    Harvey in Southbury, CT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking piece. I have found that hollowing forms with deep, almost horizontal undercuts ate not "the easiest", especially with hand held tools. BTW, I love the "racing stripe"!
    David DeCristoforo

Harvey,
    There is nothing wrong with that HF. I like the quilting shown in the third picture. Well done on keeping the thickness even throughout and down to 1/8". We always seem to learn on every piece we do. Great form also.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Blog Entries
    that's a great hollow form Harvey and the wood ain't bad either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I think it looks great. The far reach under the shoulder in that type of form is pretty challenging for me especially if the opening is small.

Very well done, nice form, beautiful finish, and I like the detailing on the foot. Really nice piece of wood, too.

Very nice HF Harvey, you've done well for yourself.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Great job, Harvey! I think that you did yourself proud, especially without using specialty tools. Since you asked, I would have done away with the flat area on top and made it a more continuous curve to the mouth of the form, but that is just me.

Nice job Harvey!! I agree that folks should get in there and feel their way with a hand-held swan neck or hook-type scraper and get intimate with that under-cut of the shoulder. It's actually a good feeling....'cept when you smack yourself in the face with your handle.

But even though I have a Nyvall captured rig, I still do my shoulders with the Ugly Stick (homemade)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    I think it looks great. Currently the only was I can do any HF is with a hand held swan neck. It can be an adventure.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    .... Ugly Stick ...
    Aw man! Now that brings up good memories!

Whoops, almost forgot. Nice work, Harvey. This is one of my more favored forms.
    Only the Blue Roads

They aren't easy Harvey, but you did very well, nice job ;-))
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    Aw man! Now that brings up good memories!

Whoops, almost forgot. Nice work, Harvey. This is one of my more favored forms.
    Yup...Good Times. And when I use the Ugly Stick...all those memories come back. I'll never get rid of it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

A beautiful form; one of my favorites. These look a lot simpler to do than they really are.

Great looking piece Harvey. Really nice simple form and finish looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.