Thread: DPI and Vector Cutting

DPI and Vector Cutting

This discussion evolved from the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146903 - I thought it deserved it's own thread.

I had always been under the impression that DPI had nothing to do with Vector Cutting. Due to the discussion above and my own tests, I now believe otherwise.

The following pictures where all done with the same image and same vector settings. However the oval on the left of each picture was set at 75 DPI the one on the right of each picture was set at 1200 DPI. There is some distortion due to the enlarging of the photos, but the difference is obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-25-2010 at 2:52 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

wow... was the cutting speed affected by the DPI adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by Harper Abbot View Post
    wow... was the cutting speed affected by the DPI adjustment?

No - there was no difference in run-time.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Well, my machine was open for minute so I thought I'd give it a try.

The results are virtually indistinguishable. My camera battery is dead as usual but I put them under a magnifying glass and can detect the slightest difference (rougher cut) between the 125 dpi and the 500 but none between the 500 dpi and the 1000 dpi.

There was .01 second cycle time difference with each dpi setting.

FWIW, I raster at 500 dpi and vector without changing the settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-25-2010 at 4:17 PM. Reason: add'l
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Well, my machine was open for minute so I thought I'd give it a try.

The results are virtually indistinguishable. My camera battery is dead as usual but I put them under a magnifying glass and can detect the slightest difference (rougher cut) between the 125 dpi and the 500 but none between the 500 dpi and the 1000 dpi.

There was .01 second cycle time difference with each dpi setting.

FWIW, I raster at 500 dpi and vector without changing the settings.
    Would there be any advantage to setting a lower dpi, if the results are similar to Mikes? I just leave mine at 600dpi on vector cutting, as I believed it didn't matter. Doesn't seem to affect the speed any significant amount.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Vector vs. DPI

Tim,

I'm not surprised to see the results you're getting. Mostly because you're comparing the far ends of resolution. Compare 300 to 600, 600 to 1200 or even 300 to 1200 and you likely wont see a difference in quality nor times.

Your original impression is still right in my view. You'd just stumbled upon something 99% of users wouldn't have. Congrats
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

All I did was show proof that DPI mattered... However yes the average vector cut will have a default DPI of 400 - 600 and this would never be noticeable as Mike had demonstrated.
    I had noticed this issue last year when sending massive jobs to the laser, it would take forever to load. Lowering the DPI, which I thought didn't matter, sped up the load considerably, however the finished vector cuts where less than desirable, but acceptable for that job.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-25-2010 at 6:43 PM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC