Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model TARDIS made from 3mm HDF (Dr Who geek stuff)

Model TARDIS made from 3mm HDF (Dr Who geek stuff)

I've had my LASER engraver for almost 11 months now, and while most of my commercial output has been engraved glassware, I thought some of you might like to see the latest creation that I have produced that's not glassware.

The following photographs show a model TARDIS (from "Dr Who") that's a little over 6 inches tall, and except for a bit of translucent paper over the windows and the end of a cheap ball point pen for the roof light, is completely constructed out of LASER cut and etched 3mm HDF (high density fiberboard aka Masonite).

There's no glue or fasteners involved and the entire thing can be assembled without tools in about 5 minutes. This is the 5th different version I have produced over the space of the 3 weeks it took me to develop the CorelDRAW file, and is pretty close to the final production version with just a few detail corrections that could possibly be made. The application of some BBC approved blue paint (Pantone 2955C) would do wonders, but for the moment, the engineering is more important than the colour.

I've been doing work with a local clothing firm who have a license from the BBC to produce a line of Dr Who replica clothing, and they are currently attempting to get a license from the BBC to market my model TARDIS either as a kit or as completely assembled models.

(click on image for high resolution version)

The entire unit is cut out of a single piece of HDF measuring 24 inches by 14 inches and currently it takes about 30 minutes of LASER time on my 50 Watt VLS4.60 to engrave and cut out all the parts. There are a few unused pieces on the following layout sheet, and once they are removed and the layout is tweaked a bit to improve the cutting speed, I should be able to reduce the cut time to somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes.

Last edited by James E Baker; 08-25-2010 at 6:51 PM.
    James

nova scotia lasers
    Nova Scotia, Canada

VLS4.60 with 50 watts, rotary, honeycomb, air, collimator ... CorelDRAW X5, 1-Touch Photo
    HP Deskjet 500 42" printer
    Magicard Rio ID Card Printer
    Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.

Very nice work. Have you adjusted the frequency to minimize the burn on the edge and/or how much clean up is involved?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Blog Entries
    Ha ha, love it

I suppose it would be asking too much, though, for you to share the file?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Great design, James! It’s always great to see creative applications with lasers. Keep us posted on future projects.

Dallas.

Well done! Thanks for the pictures.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Great job, James! Come on, share file with us

What is on top? Some kind of light?

Fantastic piece James - is the sonic screw driver next on your list?
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Well done James
    I can only dream of being able to achieve ( design ) something of this quality.
    2017 Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Corel X8
    Photograv 3.0

New Hermes Pantograph
    2-Corner cutters/notchers
    1- Combo Shear.
    Vision VE810HD Rotary
    Numerous support tools.

But, How big is it inside

Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by chris degerolamo View Post
    Very nice work. Have you adjusted the frequency to minimize the burn on the edge and/or how much clean up is involved?
    What you see is as it was taken out of the LASER and assembled (no cleanup).

My settings are:

VLS4.60 - 50 watt LASER

Beam Collimator (half of the HPDFO set) and 2.0" FL lens

Red Vector Cut: Power 100% Speed 6% PPI 300
    Blue Vector engrave: Power 30% Speed 25% PPI 1000
    Black Raster engrave: Power 100% Speed 40% PPI 500

I'm cutting on a honeycomb table with air assist (but no air assist cone) @ 10 psi
    James

nova scotia lasers
    Nova Scotia, Canada

VLS4.60 with 50 watts, rotary, honeycomb, air, collimator ... CorelDRAW X5, 1-Touch Photo

I've just come back from a meeting with the owner of the clothing company. She wants me to provide her with 3 examples (a kit of parts, a raw assembled unit, and a finished and painted unit), so she can present them at her meeting with the BBC in London in mid-September at which she'll be discussing Dr Who product licenses and merchandising.

She also said that anything Dr Who related that I can come up with between now and her flight to London on September 16, will also be presented.

Depending on which way the BBC licensng goes may prevent me from sharing the files ... but if I am allowed to share the files, then I'll make them available to anybody on the forum that's interested. It'll be strictly a PM me and I'll send you a link to the file. I won't post the file publically.

Stay tuned for further developments.
    James

nova scotia lasers
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Amazing work James. Although I have to admit I had to look up what TARDIS meant. (Not showing my age! I didn't watch TV much.) So now that I've looked it up, where is the door handle?

I hope the license is approved and this project may put a few pennies in your pocket. You have put some thought into the design and you should be proud of what you accomplished! Thank you for sharing the photos.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

James! I didn't even know I needed a mini Tardis, but that is wonderful! I haven't liked all the Doctors, but the one we have now is the best. Best of luck on your quest, I hope they approve the deal for you.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Voroncov View Post
    ... What is on top? Some kind of light?
    The "light" on top is the end of a the plastic barrel of a cheap ball-point pen.
    James

nova scotia lasers
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Amazing work James. Although I have to admit I had to look up what TARDIS meant. (Not showing my age! I didn't watch TV much.) So now that I've looked it up, where is the door handle?
    Actually, the first episode of Dr Who went to air in England on the night of the JFK assassination, so it's been around for a very long time.

I saw the first episode of the Dr Who in Australia in while on a trip to Sydney with my parents on January 15, 1965 ... and then a week later back home in Brisbane when the single 16mm black & white film print was delivered to TV station in the next state capital. The very first broadcast occurred in Perth on January 12.

I hope the license is approved and this project may put a few pennies in your pocket. You have put some thought into the design and you should be proud of what you accomplished! Thank you for sharing the photos.
    I'm not expecting to make any real money out of it, but it's something that is certainly generating a lot of satisfaction, and proving to myself that I can still do creative stuff.
    James

nova scotia lasers
    Nova Scotia, Canada