Hi Guys...

I have a quick question and at first I thought it was a dumb one but now I am not so sure.

"How big are your normal turnings?"

The reason I ask is because the bigger the better right? Except, bigger takes bigger wood, more power (220) (Tim Alan OH OH OH), etc. I Recently scored some larger tree sections for my area (AZ) and after breaking them down to size I find that I can turn most of it reasonably on my Jet Mini (1014). Sue, I have to cut the blanks round otherwise my lathe would be jumping all over on me. I would love to have the new Delta (seems a perfect size for me) or even better that Powermatic (OH OH OH). More power - easier to do stuff. But.... $$$$$$$$$$$

I always thought most of the turnings I see posted are actually bigger than they really are. Pictures can be deceiving, no?

I guess I am wondering if I really NEED to save my pennies for the Powermatic full size lathe (or Jet, etc) or if I can get a Delta Middi sooner.

Will I ever turn a tree? I doubt it... Will I ever core? Eh... doubt it. Will I ever get into hollow forms and need a monster rig? I hope so, but not sure.

Will I turn 10" bowls - yes. Will I turn smaller, including pens and stoppers and the like - yes.

A 15" bowl would take a HUGE piece of wood.... I don't get many pieces that big here.

I think I just talked myself into the Delta.

Curious about how you all justified the lathe upgrade to yourselves (easy to do) or your significant other (HARD to do).

Thanks!

JP