Thread: Lost the passion

Lost the passion

Greetings,

I have begun posting tools for sale in the classified area which have raised questions. The truth is I've lost my passion for woodworking and I no longer have the time. I created this thread to be able to direct folks when they ask.

Our company has been blessed with an abundance of work. Shortly after I purchased a number of new tools (primarily hand tools) we took on a number of large clients which has eaten up my remaining free time. I'm tired of going into my shop only to see the tools collecting dust thus the decision to significantly downsize.

Due to the large number of tools I may just post them on one of our websites.
    -Rik

I don't know you at all, but ... I have the feeling you'll be sorry.

I have significant issues with my eyes. Often, WEEKS go buy where I can't use my shop.

But one thing that gives me comfort is the knowledge that my shop WILL be there, when I have better days/weeks.

While you can always buy new/used tools, again, you'll likely take a bit of a financial beating.

If it's partly financial, then, I guess I can understand. If it's really about time and passion ... these things DO change.

I hope -- whichever way you go -- it works out well for you.

Sincerely.

Blog Entries
    +1 what Neil said.

I hope things work out for you too Rik.

PHM

I appreciate the wise words Neil. Unfortunately too many cycles have passed and it has been years since I've been able to find time to be in the shop. Not being one to rush into things this decision has been drawn out over a couple of years. It isn't financial as God is truly blessing us. I will still have a functioning shop, just smaller. Will I regret it? Only time will tell.
    -Rik

Rik, I hope things work out for you also.
    Don't forget to smell the roses.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Rik, I know exactly where you are coming from. I made a similar announcement a few years back. I sold off a lot of stuff and bought some metalworking equipment with the proceeds. I thought I'd mostly be quitting wwing at the time. I also discovered restoring old woodworking machinery and have since bought a number of owwm's and restored them to the point I've got a numnber of the same machines, though in some cases a smaller version. Now if I get burnt out ww, I make something from metal or restore a machine. Last summer/fall I built my parents' kitchen. I really haven't done any ww of significance since but have done a number of shop improvement projects including a new welder/plasma cart, some mobile bases, and redoing my dc.

My point is that its a hobby and I felt pressured by only being able to have one. Now I'm under less pressure. Except that my mom wants her kitchen trim done and SWMBO jr wants her desk and...

And, since its a hobby, you should do what makes you happy, not necessarily what makes sense. Because if we did what makes sense, all these high-dollar tools wouldn't be going into garages, basements, and outbuildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Because if we did what makes sense, all these high-dollar tools wouldn't be going into garages, basements, and outbuildings.
    Wise words!

I know exactly how you feel Rik. When my dad got sick and he and mom had to go into a home (alzheimers), I had just retired. The assisted living facility cost over $7,000 a month. Fortunately they had several rentals, plus their house. Unfortunately, all seven rentals were in sad condition. I spent the next 2 1/2 years working 10-12 hours a day, every day, going through them, and also did their house. Roofs, moving walls, new electrical, etc.

I thought I would never get to play in the workshop. Just as the last one was within a month of being done, they passed away. We then moved, and I built my dream workshop. Got ripped off by a contractor (now a convicted felon), and spent the next 5 years playing contractor/gofer remodeling and adding on to the new house. I hardly got to spend any time in the new shop.

Two weeks ago, we finished the landscaping. Next week I hope to start building the kitchen cabinets, closet organizers, and built ins.

Sooo....I have been away from the shop for 7 1/2 years, just using it for necessary rough projects needed for remodeling work. In the meantime, I have managed to acquire several really neat new tools I haven't even used yet.

I can hardly wait to start doing the things I want to do, almost 8 years after retiring.

Hang in there. Your time will come.

Rick Potter

The truth is I've lost my passion for woodworking and I no longer have the time.
    Stuff like that happens.

Good luck w/your decision!

If it really is time to move on, do it before you end up hating it.

OMG, we are SO SAPPY!!!!!!

Hey, Rik didn't come down with a terminal illness. He didn't have something happen to him that will keep him from wwing. He isn't (or at least doesn't seem to be) mentally unable or too unstable to be in the shop. He just doesn't have time for it. He just lost that spark.

Hey, I went YEARS without touching a piece of walnut, cherry, or maple. (Firewood doesn't count.)

Rik, glad to hear that business is booming. That, in this economy, seems to be a little more important, really. Congrats on the success. And, hey, when things slow down a little and you get more time on your hands, you'll probably have plenty of money from these big clients to buy all new tools!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    OMG, we are SO SAPPY!!!!!!

Sappy:

3) a : overly sweet or sentimental
    b : lacking in good sense : silly

I don't see the responses as fitting either of these definitions.

One of the Creekers is considering giving up either a hobby or (in his words) a passion.

I think that's a sad thing.

Your mileage may vary.

Actually, he said that he lost his passion, not that he has to give it up. Yes, it is sad that he lost it. Yes, I hope he has time to get that passion back. Yes, it is also sad.
    I drink, therefore I am.