Thread: Wooden jointer plane

Wooden jointer plane

I need a jointer plane for my next project, and I would like to try a wooden jointer plane. In part because I am doing the project with my 8 year old son, and he cannot deal with the heft of my LN #8.

But I am having trouble finding one. I would really like to keep this as cheap as possible, so where should I be looking? I saw an ebony 18" jointer plane on the Japan Woodworker website for $160, but I would like to spend a lot less than that. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

If you're up for another project on top of whatever you needed the jointer for, you can always make one. The main expense will be in the blade/chipbreaker, and if you can "borrow" one from another plane then it's even cheaper.

You won't find a decent plane for much less than the one you mentioned. A good blade won't be cheap.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you son is too young to control the weight of a large iron jointer, pushing a wide blade might be an issue as well. I'd look for a somewhat narrower blade than I would use for myself.

They're pretty easy to make. Just get some wood for the body and a blade from Hock tools. You can find lots of instruction on how to make a wood plane on the web, or there's a book titled "Making and Mastering Wood Planes" by Dave Finck. The book went out of print but he's offering it on his web site now. Price is good - $25.

Mike

[Note: you can get the Hock blades a bit cheaper at Craftsman Studio.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-22-2010 at 6:50 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What Mike & Jon said.

Or you could go with a muji replacement blade and cut the cost even more. Great HSS.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41182,46334

Jim B

The other solution, if the project is not huge is to use a #6 (or even a #5, if you have one). There are lots of inexpensive old Stanleys out there.

My wife joints smaller parts with a 5 1/4. She loves it. My #7 is a stanley casting error with a 3/8" thick sole, and it has a jointer fence with wooden wear plate hanging off of the side of it. I can barely lift it...

Have you considered a stanley transitional?> you could true it with your #8 and it is sure to be a lot cheaper than $160.

How long of a board could we get away with jointing with say a 5 or 6? I almost always default to my 8, so I have never really pushed the issue. We are making a present for my wife and my son really wants to help with all aspects of the project. Thanks.

Jointer Plane

Sent you a pm.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade View Post
    Sent you a pm.
    Replied, thanks.

8-year-old can't push a LN no. 8...what a wuss. Pathetic.

Sometimes

your search changes everything.

I shouldn't be divulging my secrets, but instead of searching for "wooden jointer", try "Wooden try plane". Everybody is looking for wooden jointer, not everyone is looking for wooden try plane.

You get some killer deals that way. Same thing with mortise chisels. You may type in "mortice" and save some dough. You might pay a little more for the intl. shipping, but it may be worth it when you add it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I need a jointer plane for my next project, and I would like to try a wooden jointer plane. In part because I am doing the project with my 8 year old son, and he cannot deal with the heft of my LN #8.

But I am having trouble finding one. I would really like to keep this as cheap as possible, so where should I be looking? I saw an ebony 18" jointer plane on the Japan Woodworker website for $160, but I would like to spend a lot less than that. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    How long of a board could we get away with jointing with say a 5 or 6? I almost always default to my 8, so I have never really pushed the issue. We are making a present for my wife and my son really wants to help with all aspects of the project. Thanks.
    I would say any length as long as you check with a straight edge. Or looking at it another way the 5 is roughly 1/2 the length of your 8; the 6 is 2/3rds -- so perhaps that's another way to gauge the usefulness of those planes as mini jointers.

Are you open to beech jointers, or are you looking for something more modern?

Beech jointers can be had fairly cheap, aside from the shipping cost.

I have had luck getting old beech planes on ebay by searching something as simple as "wood plane" -air (so that i don't miss anything), and browsing the thumbnails.