Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrg... Wood Turning Clubs

Blog Entries

Arrg... Wood Turning Clubs

Got to get this off my chest to make myself feel better, I reckon. But what is up with Wood turning Clubs? Do they not understand that Wednesday nights are typically Bible Study/Prayer nights for most all churches? Every club remotely close to me meets on Wednesday. I'm starting to think they are a bunch of heathens. Okay, probably not, but this sure does tangle my curls I can't join a group.

Okay, I'm done. You may go back to your regularly scheduled Wood Turning Thread.
    Have a Nice Day!

Got to get this off my chest to make myself feel better, I reckon. But what is up with Wood turning Clubs? Do they not understand that Wednesday nights are typically Bible Study/Prayer nights for most all churches? Every club remotely close to me meets on Wednesday. I'm starting to think they are a bunch of heathens. Okay, probably not, but this sure does tangle my curls I can't join a group.

Jon. sounds familiar you just gotta work some things.
    neil

The wooden Potter

Jon, at various times in my life, I have been involved in Wednesday nite activities at church, and you are right - seems a lot of secular activities occur on Wednesday evenings. I guess it is just the midpoint of the week, and seems a logical time.

At the risk of offending someone, let me step out here. Perhaps if you went to a few meetings, you might find that your influence would be well placed, or, perhaps you will meet a bunch of folks that actually feel similarly and might want to form a Tuesday/Thursday club. Or, perhaps the whole club might consider changing the meeting time, but no one had the courage to bring it up before.

While I certainly understand the need to be in Wednesday nite services, there is always the chance that you may do more good amongst those not in those services. A missionary of sorts...

Just a thought....

Our club meets on Tues.I think that's better for everyone.
    Donny

Jon, most symposiums have rotations Sunday morning, i hope i am forgiven for missing an occasional gathering, our outlaw woodturning club is still trying to decide weather to join AAW, we meet on 1st tuesday of month

Our woodturning club meets on Thursdays. The next nearest club meets on Mondays. On Wednesdays, my wife has her harp lesson... the rest of New Jersey naps.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Jon - our club meets on the first Tuesday of the month. Have you contacted the club president to find out if there is a reason why they meet on Wednesdays? Could be that is the only evenings available at that particular facility... I would at least talk with the president and present your side of the issue. Never know - if the club could gain some additional members simply by changing their meeting day - they may jump at the chance!

Good luck with this!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hey Jon,

We started a small club and moved it from Sundays to Wed evening.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

9. Jon,

I admire you for keeping your priorities straight! Our service to God should come before our pleasure.......period! Part of why this nation is in the shape it is in is because folks have let anything and everything come before God.

The reason I don't get more projects accomplished than I do in turning is because I put my faith and its obligations before anything considered a hobby.

I love to hunt, and do wood working, but nothing comes before God, so I keep the hobby in balance with faith and family; and priorities first.

I joined our woodturning club in Jan. 2009. partly to be an influence outside the 4 walls of the church, and I have found a whole new circle of friends and folks I would never have known. I like John's suggestion, maybe attend a meeting or talk with the club president to see if it could be brought up to maybe hold a Tuesday meeting like some in our area do.

you are to be commended for your faithfulness and most of all, do what pleases God, not man!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I guess I fall into the other end of the spectrum, never been a church goer. But there's an old saying that I've always liked about fishing, "It's better to go fishing on Sunday and think of God than to go to church and think about fishing." I guess I would just plug in woodturning nowadays in place of fishing. Our local club meets on Thursday evenings.

Jon, I fully appreciate your feelings. Fortunately here in the North Houston area our club has a Saturday meeting time. John K. has some good points and are well worth consideration. I also understand that many set the highest priority on those worship services and will not compromise. So as a second resort continue utilizing the Creek as your club until something changes. Before we had a club I was able to do just that here on the Creek. Quite honestly, sometimes, depending on the club, you may be better off. This is a great group of folks and except for the hands on and demos most of your needs can be fulfilled. I learned this first hand and am very appreciative of the fellowship found here. These guys and ladies will even pray with and for you and yours. Hope this helps.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Perhaps, Jon, if you would relax long enough to enjoy the fellowship of other turners who also enjoy the beauty of God's wood, you could explain to them that you cannot attend their meetings as it conflicts with your faith, and could they possibly consider changing the meeting day. They will never know to consider this if you never attend to let them know!

Jon I commend you for your convictions. I have at times did as Curt was saying missed a Sunday service for fishing. I always felt I it was ok because standing on the banks of a river fly fishing in Colorado or Montana I could always give thanks for the beauty of the land and everything the good Lord has given me.

I agree with John K. Go to one of the meetings and see if by chance they would move the day of the meeting. We have a car restoration club I belong to that met Sunday mornings. I never could attend because of church. I missed one Sunday and after some talk I was not the only one that would have liked the meeting changed. It was changed to Tuesday. Give it a try.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

If god (or God if you prefer) wants you to turn, he/she will understand your absence at Wednesday night meetings. Just ask... the answer will be given.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    Got to get this off my chest to make myself feel better, I reckon. But what is up with Wood turning Clubs? Do they not understand that Wednesday nights are typically Bible Study/Prayer nights for most all churches? .
    Evidently not...or perhaps they are not church-goers and it never occurred to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    Every club remotely close to me meets on Wednesday. I'm starting to think they are a bunch of heathens.
    Maybe not heathens but certainly not committed to their faith, if it is similar to yours. They could all be "Primitive Baptists" or something else not exactly mainstream.

I think John Keeton suggested the right approach. Go ahead, join a club and attend a couple of Wednesday meetings. Not only will you have an opportunity to carry your beliefs outside the church doors but you can also broach the subject of an alternate meeting day.

Turners willing to meet on Wednesday evening so as not to disrupt their weekend should certainly be receptive to another turner not wanting to disrupt his church attendance.

If they outright refuse to accomodate you (and possibly others) by moving the meeting day, then "shake the (saw)dust of that place off of your garments" and leave.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln