Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Table Saw advice

Angry Grizzly Table Saw advice

I could use a little advice. In April of this year, I ordered the Grizzly Model G1023RLW table saw. It was been backordered until May. Then again until July, then AGAIN until August 13 and NOW I'm told October 22nd. The frustrating part is that they don't tell you it's backordered until you send an inquiry email asking if the saws are in. Seems they should keep you informed of backorders automatically. I've been waiting all summer and now they say late fall (but not definite). Now that I have vented, my reason for writing is: I contacted Grizzly, and found that there are two tablesaws (surprisingly) NOT actually on back order. Those are the G1023RL and the G0690.

In comparing the two, the major differences are: G1023RL has a Shopfox fence, a surpentine poly-V belt drive, and the G0690 has a Leeson motor (the 1023 does not indicate what brand of motor is used). The G0690 has a Grizzly fence with triple V belt drive. All else is “fairly” similar including the price. My only other consideration is that I have already had my basement wired for the 30 Amp 12 gauge outlet for the G1023RLW which uses the same configuration as the G1023RL but the G0690 has a 20 Amp 14 gauge set up. I read this forum frequently when I’m looking for help but now I need direct advice from fellow shop mates.

Have you called Grizzly? They have started shipping 1023s, maybe you can get it sooner.

FWIW, the people who have the G0690 seem to love it. I think y'll be happy with it if you have the extra $$ and can get the wiring done.

I originally order the 1023RLW and what is available now is the 1023RL. The difference being the built in router table. So giving up on the router table section, I'm now comparing the 1023RL and the 0690. Hope this makes sense.

I had the same issue back in June and bought the 690 instead of waiting.
    Very happy with it, but also sounds like the dust collection on the new 1023 series is a big improvement.
    I think many are waiting for the first in-depth review of the new 1023 series. Should be soon...

Took delivery on my 1023RLX yesterday. The problem is that the saws were redesigned to comply with UL regs regarding riving knives. I ordered my saw in January. I know that saws are coming in pretty often now and they should probably have what you ordered available soon. You don't say where you live so we don't know which location you'll be getting your saw from. I know that the Missouri location received saws first.

Mike, FWIW, I just bought a 691 about a month ago and I am loving this saw. I didn't even have a table saw before this, but have used a couple. It runs so smooth and quiet that I can have a normal conversation with someone when it's running, that's how quiet it is. I would recommend this saw to anyone.

Regarding the wiring, I'm assuming you put a 30 amp receptacle and a 30 amp breaker in. Just swap out the receptacle and breaker for 20-amper's and you're good to go. I also wired my garage with 12 guage which is pretty much the minimum for 220V-20A. The wires that you're referring to are on the saw and not the recommendation for your basement wiring.

I have my G0691 plugged into a receptacle that is wired with 10 guage wire on a 30 amp breaker. Change the breaker and the outlet to a 20 amp set up, and plug in the 690. You will be fine. I really love my 691. Even more since I got it dialed in and the Infinity Combo blade on it. Man that thing cuts slick!
    The new 1023R series reportedly has the same motor as the old 1023s had. I've never heard any problems from those using it, but it's not as efficient as the Leeson design, even though the Leeson is built in China. That's why it is rated at a higher amperage consumption. And I doubt that you would notice the difference on the electrical meter either.
    I don't think I'd swap my 691 for the equivalent 1023R saw. I really like what I got! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Another G0691 fan here! They're really nice saws. Been using mine for a year or so - very happy with my purchase.

We all want the best we can get within our budget. Wish the G0691 had the better dust collection that is included on the new 1023 - but it's really not that big a deal for the average user.
    Stan

Another very happy 690 user here. I have had it for about 3 months now. After a bit of frustration with the slider accessory, I absolutely love it.

I dunno.. The first notification which was that you were backordered about a month, would be acceptable to me. But waiting 5 months?

Why reward them by ordering a different tablesaw from Griz? Why not take your business elsewhere? IMO, it's not right for them to keep stringing you along like that. There comes a point where saving a few bucks at the expense of poor service like that is not worth it.

I asked some of the same questions a couple on months ago. Note Van Huskey's great comparison Here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=g690 as well as other's comments.

I went with the G690 for the additional left side rip capacity and the 20 amp motor as my basement shop is a bit electrically challenged and I didn't want to have to do a complete rewire. I received my G690 last week. Personal issues have prevented me from completing assembly but I did get my Veritas straight edge on the table and it is dead flat. I found a couple of places that were .003-.004 low but even after getting the extensions on, it is amazingly flat. The fence is also dead straight. I mention that because others have experienced flatness issues with the G690 as well as the new G1023 and it was a concern for me. Also, the blade was parallel to the miter groove within less than .001 out of the box (according to my HF dial indicator).
    Last edited by Gene Waara; 08-19-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Smile thanks

I would like to thank everyone for the input. I've decided to go with the G0690. What would we do without forums like this, thanks again.

I think you will be very happy with this choice. Remember to let us know, with pictures!!! , when it arrives. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I think you will be happy.

As for the router table I understand the allure of cast iron and the price of the Grizzly version BUT the Grizzly version does not allow you to adjust the router from above the table nor install a quality lift, a non-issue for some but a deal breaker for me.