Thread: Walnut (and other) Supplier in SoCal

Blog Entries

Walnut (and other) Supplier in SoCal

I'm in the Inland Empire and have been using Reel Lumber, Riverside due to convenience and selection. As of late their walnut supply seems to consist of the same boards I've passed on the last 3 or 4 visits. I was going to take a run to their Anaheim location but thought I'd see if anyone has recently been to a yard that they liked.

I am aware of Bohnoff in L.A. and Austin in Santa Ana. I have not made it to Petermann's yet. Any of you in the Riverside, Perris, Corona, Temecula, San Berdoo, Ontario, etc. areas have other yards that have worked out for you?

TIA
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-18-2010 at 1:36 PM. Reason: Please Delete, wrong place.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

I purchase from Ganahl in Corona, Peterman in Fontana, and Cherokee in Upland. Just bought some wood at Cherokee today to make some samples to get into a couple shops- $2.89 for soft maple, $2.99 for red oak, $4.48 for Walnut, $5.05 for Cherry, $3.05 for Beech and $5.65 for African Mahogany. All 4/4.

I've also purchased from Atlas in Ontario, but their prices are higher and they charge a 10% dimensional overage that I don't agree with. If they were cheaper than other places, significantly, I could understand charging the 10% for stock prep, but not at the same prices everyone else charges flat rate.

-Michael

when I lived in SoCal I would go to Ganahl.

Frost hardwood in San Diego is a good supplier

I previously had good luck with figured walnut at Austin on several occasions and on one occasion at the Anaheim Ball Road and on one occasion at Hudson and West at Torrance. I was seeking figured no sapwood walnut in at least 6/4 and went to all 3 stores. Very poor selection for the higher end boards. Mostly flat sawn with sap on the back and some quarter sawn (no rift sawn). Nothing I wanted to buy. I did call Highland Lumber also and they said slim pickings. I came across some online sources where they show you pictures of the boards and ship, but I wish one of those places was in So Cal.

Any places I am missing for the higher end walnut?

You can call the Corona Reel lumber location and buy from them by appointment. They have rough lumber there also. Nice people, but you cannot just show up and pick.

Looks like I need to look at Cherokee!

PK

Recently went to Ganahl in Corona for the first time. They didn't have much variety, and we bought nothing. Used to use Reel in Riverside, but since Tom retired it doesn't seem as good. Loved it for short lengths of maple and red oak.

Cherokee in Upland is good for cabinet stock. Good selection of ply, prefinished birch ply and melamine. Big selection of trim for baseboard and Crown moldings. They usually carry 11 1/2" wide prefinished Baltic Birch, which makes great cabinet drawer material, rounded and finished on edges also. A decent selection of hardwood, but not near as much as Reel.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I am surprised more people haven't mentioned Peterman's in Fontana. I live in western LA County and have a great hardwood and plywood supplier five miles away that is my go-to source for most materials. I also can go to multiple suppliers in the LA area which have decent inventories much of the time. However, when I need something special, as I did a few weeks ago, I have no problem driving the 160+ mile round trip to Peterman. They have a huge inventory, the racks are easily accessible, hand picking material is no problem, and their prices are competitive. Certainly living in the Inland Empire would make Peterman's even more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I am surprised more people haven't mentioned Peterman's in Fontana. Certainly living in the Inland Empire would.
    I like Petermans much better 14 years ago when Glenn started this thread. I don’t live as far away from Petermans as you do fortunately Cherokee lumber is closer closer. I do better haggling with the guys at Cherokee.
    Old thread alert
    Aj

House of Hardwood in West Los Angeles.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    House of Hardwood in West Los Angeles.
    They have a great selection, at least they did the last time I was there some years ago. But if you buying something exotic or a larger quantity of material, you may want to bring the pink slip to your car. If you do go to the House of Hardwoods, since you are already in West LA, you may want to check out Anderson Plywood in Culver City.

anyone closer to Santa Barbara ? I drive down to Mayan Hardwoods in Oxnard and Anderson for my plywood, makes for a long drive. To finish a Xmas present, I had to buy Oak at HomeDepot, I needed such a small amount the gas to Mayan would have not made it worthwhile. I have limited storage, I used to buy around $1,000 to $1,500's worth of wood at a time and nowdays that does not buy much so my storage issue is solved but I still have to drive. Channel City in Goleta has extremely limited selection of hardwoods and they are expensive, they had S4S Oak twisted like a pretzel and still wanted top dollar.