Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First little HF with NanoTools

First little HF with NanoTools

Two firsts for me. First little hollowform, and first time using the NanoTools.

Very comfortable system.

The wood is dry mahogany, about 2" tall. Wall thickness is a bit less than 1/10".

After ejnoying turning this piece with the straight and angled cutter, I also ordered and recieved the accessory round carbide (I'm fond of carbide tools) and the steel scraper cutters... and two extra handles.

Though this was purely a hollowing exercise, I am considering adding another first... possibly a finial or lid. Or I may just leave it alone... there are other projects to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 08-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

2. Nano tools

Really neat! Both the turning and the tools! The shape of the tools reminds me a little of the shape of my larger hollowing tools.

fun at a nana price

Nice job! I've been fooling with small pieces too and like the fact that it is not a huge lumber commitment!
    carry on.
    mj

Very interesting!

I have been making my own micro tools for minis. I will have to look into Nanotools.

I have noticed that my future planned projects seem to be getting smaller, but you guys are getting beyond my visual acuity with this stuff!!!

I love the idea of really small forms. Some of the more exotic woods are unavailable or prohibitively expensive for larger work, so miniatures are a great way to experiment. The diversity of woods available is also one of the things that continues to keep me interested in pens.

That's for the report on the nano tools... I'm looking forward to big(or rather small) things from you in the future.

That looks pretty cool! I can see how having really small tools would work great on Christmas ornaments!

Have fun hollowing! Looking forward to seeing what's next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks all. I burned the two thin black lines in the HF thinking that Lauren would like to practice some pyrography between those lines.

However, she decided that since this was my first HF, she didn't want to risk messing it up. I may yet get her to reconsider... I like collaborating with the lady.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I am a big fan of small forms, and that one is very cool.

Those tools and the HF look really interesting. Does anyone know where the tools can be purchased?

Nick,

I can't post a link to the Nano Tools site here, so I'll send you a private message.

Unfortunately a Google search does not bring up their web site.

Cool stuff, Alan.

Go ahead and post the Nano site.

As long as it's not a forum, or that you're actually Mr. Nano the link should be okay.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    Cool stuff, Alan.

Go ahead and post the Nano site.

As long as it's not a forum, or that you're actually Mr. Nano the link should be okay.
    Alan,
    Nice job on the hollow form (especially for a first attempt!).
    I'm a beta tester for the Nano... I think Steve asked me because I'm so hard on tools (If I can't break em they're ready for the rest of the world).
    Andy, thanks for the consent on the link:
    The Nano Revolution

I have some of the beading tools and am really impressed with how well they work too.
    Change One Thing

Blog Entries
    Okay, so just how did you get the quarter to stand up like that?
    Have a Nice Day!

Jon,

In a former life, I was a commercial photographer. Most of my time was spent getting things to stand up that didn't want to stand up by themselves.

I this case, it was simple... a little piece of wax stuck to the back of the quarter was all it took to stand it up.