Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best system for duplicating parts?

Best system for duplicating parts?

I need to make a few parts the same shape and size and find it difficult to end up with more than two that look just a like. They all have a ball on the end, and for some reason, I end up with the ball located just a little off from the others. Does anyone have a "system" that they follow when making a bunch of the same things? Templates, those little contour gauge things with a hundred little fingers, ??????

duplicating

I have used the one I am copying as a 'story stick', by placing it alongside the square blank and marking each directional change.,With the PM3520b a place is provided for placing the original so I can see how to progress.In any case use the original as stated and place it to where you can see it.
    Max

Balls are a tough one to repeat

Steve, If you have not practiced a lot making spheres they are one of the hardest things to get matched up in turning. They do make shere turning jigs that allow you to repeat the process over and over again. I think you could make a rudimentary one to do what you need to do. Or buy one that is complete from one of the places that make them. It is a very simple design based on a pivot point and a cutter that can be moved in and out to create different radius shperes. Then once the sphere is created on the spindle it will be easier to complete and beads, coves, tapers etc.

Here is a link to one made for a metal turning lathe that can be used for wood, or replicated to do what you need. http://bedair.org/Ball/ball.html

Hope this helps,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

4. have you considered

I hope I am not committing the unpardonable sin here..............but, have you thought of a lathe duplicator?

If you have a lot of spindles to turn, like ballisters, it could be worth the investment, and then you would be set. They can get you identical parts with a template or using the first turning, such as a table leg, or bed post.

Just something to consider. I have one, and I like it.

The best system? Your eyes, hands, basic tools, and preparation.
    Make a story pole for layout.

Have a finished sample nearby for reference.

Have ample stock available for do-overs.
    The duplicator concept will force you to sand longer and slow the whole thing down overall. Won't make you a better, more accomplished turner, either.
    Only the Blue Roads

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    The best system? Your eyes, hands, basic tools, and preparation.
    Make a story pole for layout.

Have a finished sample nearby for reference.

Have ample stock available for do-overs.
    The duplicator concept will force you to sand longer and slow the whole thing down overall. Won't make you a better, more accomplished turner, either.

Touche' Andy............a duplicator won't make anyone a better turner, and it is simply "a way" to do it, not necessarily better. An accomplished turner could probably do a series just as fast, but a turner with much less time under his belt could probably do a dozen or so of the same thing much faster with a duplicator.

I have done it both ways and I like both ways!

Additional: did I mess up and commit the unpardonable sin, by mentioning a duplicator as a possibility? Just trying not to blaspheme!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-17-2010 at 2:58 PM. Reason: additional

A standard duplicator is probably not an option as I forgot to mention that my lathe is a Sherline metal lathe with a 3.5" swing that I have adapted to do some wood turning. A small piece of steel angle iron mounted to the cross table acts as my tool bar. Not perfect but I've been able to get by for the most part. Just can't do anything very big.

The sphere turning jig is very interesting but it would take me longer to make that than it would to just finish all the parts I need. I have a story stick and constantly look at the first example, just not proficient enough to make them all exactly the same yet. I guess that's where the practice makes perfect comes in, huh?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Steve LaFara View Post
    A standard duplicator is probably not an option as I forgot to mention that my lathe is a Sherline metal lathe with a 3.5" swing that I have adapted to do some wood turning. A small piece of steel angle iron mounted to the cross table acts as my tool bar. Not perfect but I've been able to get by for the most part. Just can't do anything very big.

The sphere turning jig is very interesting but it would take me longer to make that than it would to just finish all the parts I need. I have a story stick and constantly look at the first example, just not proficient enough to make them all exactly the same yet. I guess that's where the practice makes perfect comes in, huh?

Steve,

In your case you are doing exactly what you need to do!

sherline

Steve
    I have sherline equipment with a different attachment
    CNC
    duplicates nicely
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

10. Cnc

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hertzog View Post
    Steve
    I have sherline equipment with a different attachment
    CNC
    duplicates nicely
    ken

now that was a gloat!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    .... did I mess up and commit the unpardonable sin, by mentioning a duplicator as a possibility? Just trying not to blaspheme!
    No blasphemery in evidence, Roger.

But --- this is a turning forum, not a machining forum
    Only the Blue Roads

12. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    No blasphemery in evidence, Roger.

But --- this is a turning forum, not a machining forum

Sorry Andy,

Lost my head there for a minute

The little Sherline may not be the best for wood work, but I get by on smaller items.

Cocobolo and mother of pearl

Palm bottle stopper

Knurled brass/mother of pearl knob for a ebony dove tail marking gauge

Turned accents for a band sawn box. Ebony spear holds the lid in place when closed.

14. That is really pretty work! Very nice brass turning! I like the insets in the tops of the bottle stoppers, great idea.........makes them unique! You do very appealing work!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-18-2010 at 7:09 AM.

Well I finally got the knobs for my vise handles done and I think they turned out pretty well. Each has a brass escutchen and 0-ring to keep them from getting beat up and pinching my fingers. A few coats of Tung Oil applied on the lathe and they are ready for me to start making the new bench top. Getting four knobs the same size and shape is a challenge!

(please excuse the crummy i-phone photo) (yes, that is my little Sherline lathe in the background )