Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice Box Project

Spice Box Project

Hello all,
    I don't post very often but I find myself in need of some advice on building the upper molding on my spice box. The size of the molding will be 15/16" deep and up to 1.5" wide. I've used an ogee and cove bit to make a two piece molding that will work but it just don't look very good. I'm considering getting a multi-profile bit to try something else. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice box, I'd like to see it with a McCormick spice bottle against it to see it's size.

I'd put something on the top that matches the bottom, some sort of cove main part. You might consider a cove molding, but with a beaded molding against either side of the cove main one, except make the beads out of some light contrasting wood? It would give it a banded look, and I always like the contrast of walnut and a light wood, say maple.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

OK, here's the bottle. Its a 1 oz McCormick. The box is 18.5"x13.75"x11". I ordered a multi-profile bit so I can experiment with some different shapes for the crown. I like the idea of a contrasting bead and I'll have to figure out how to work it in. The dividers are cherry and the drawer fronts will be maple so a maple bead should tie in well. I'm using Minwax Antique Oil for the finish and have put a base coat on the walnut.

Thanks,

Scott

I found a molding bit I liked and got it ordered. It makes a 1/4" bead along the bottom of the molding so I glued a piece of cherry to the walnut to make the bead. I haven't tried maple yet but I really like the cherry and will probably use it.

Thanks,

Scott

I'd like to see what it would look like with maple, but then again I am a sucker for contrast and walnut and maple go together like peas and carrots.

This piece turned out well...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Coming along great. Very pretty material, looking forward to the big finish.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

nice, I do like the cherry bead and it goes with the shelves.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

OK, got the maple bead molding done. Its gonna be a tough choice. This is going to be a jewelry box for my daughter so I may let her decide.

Thanks,

Scott

Well wouldn't you know...my daughter likes the cherry & the maple and said to use either. I'm gonna try to put both the maple and cherry into the molding or use the maple and put some cherry along the bottom with the feet. I did use both maple and cherry on the door. I not sure if movement is going to be a killer issue with this door but if it is I can make another design.

Scott

Scott - A comment about the wood choice for the molding. Cherry will darken with age and exposure to light, and the walnut will lighten up. If you're going for contrast on the molding, this might not be the best pair of woods to use. Maple will very gradually darken and yellow over time, but it takes a whole lot longer to do this than cherry.

Food for thought.

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I decided to put a small amount of cherry on the top of the feet anyway. This cherry has been setting around for 45+ years and is already fairly dark. I picked thru my maple stash and found a good piece to cut the drawer fronts from. When I put finish on them the grain should really stand out.

Thanks for all the coments & feedback,

Scott

Great work Scott you hooked me. I have a pine version in the shop being worked on.

I finally got the crown molding cut and installed. Decided to go with the maple up top (thanks for the feedback!). I took the pictures outside hoping for a better shot but it didn't work so well. Also got a shot of the back and the hidden drawer space.

Thanks for looking,

Scott

i would have to go with cherry, only because it is just a bead on the molding, and since the drawer dividers are cherry, you will basically only see a cherry bead between the drawers too. so the cherry will sort of be like an red outline of the drawers and molding. just my 2 inexperienced cents. but in my minds eye, that would be nicest. good luck, great box.