Thread: Felder CF 731 Professional

Felder CF 731 Professional

Since I have been using my A3-31 I have come to the realization that Felder/Hammer has some really nice stuff but from looking through some threads it seems like there have been some issues with a few of their machines. Like anything mechanical that is to be expected but some of the horror stories have been circuit boards going out that cost about $2000 to replace, expensive motors, etc. Just not a ton of information out there on this particular machine.

Does anyone have a CF 731 Pro? More specifically, one that was purchased in the 2000-2002 years? If so, what do you think of it? I am seriously considering picking it up but just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into before plunking down this kind of money. I was going to buy a Hammer B3 to compliment the A3-31 but if I could get this machine for a good enough deal then it would be a better option given my basemet shop.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    I'll let the owners chime in but I'm wondering...

given my basemet shop
    ...how are you going to get it down into your basement?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I'll let the owners chime in but I'm wondering...

...how are you going to get it down into your basement?
    Greg, many of us have done that, it's not a problem generally.

regards, Rod.

The machines generally separate into smaller components to make moving and transport easier.

Mike -- I would go to the Felder group and ask there too -- I know a few guys have the 731 you are considering. If it has the digidrive, then I think that is where serious money comes into play if you have to replace parts.

Scot

Mike,
    I had a 2004 model CF741SP with the power drive and the VFD. Had it for 3 years with no problems. I know of a few people that mentioned having to replace some electronics on the Felder Owners Group forum but the problem you are concerned about doesn't seem to be widespread. The Felder is an excellent machine. I only sold it and went with separates because the combo didn't fit my method of work very well.
    Steve

Basement

Rod proved to be a wizard at getting his B3 into his basement. I brute forced my A3 down the stairs with some help from a come-a-long and some help from my dad. The full combo is going to require a little more brain power. I contacted a couple rigging companies and most around the area are a little spendy for me since I think I can do it. It does come apart in two large pieces. The saw and the j/p. The saw is somewhere around the 1000-1300lbs mark to the best of my knowledge and I can't imagine the j/p weighs anymore than my A3 so that will be a piece of cake. Going down is the easy part. :-) Depending on if I get the 731 and am happy with the j/p I may be selling the A3 and therefore have to bring it back up the stairs which I am not looking forward to.

Thanks Scot. I did some searching on that group as well and will post something there to get some additional feedback. That is where I saw a few posts for people having issues.

If anyone can PM me someone you may know that owns the 731 that would be great.

Just as an FYI I talked to a Felder service tech and he said the 731 is a good machine. One issue with the electronics they fixed in the newer 741's is that they modulerlized the electronics. In the 731 it is all on one board and if something goes out then there is about a 50/50 shot in fixing the board vs. replacing. They of course upgraded some of the components such as going to a dual vs single trunion system but I didn't get anymore info than that really. He was a nice guy though and talked to him about having a service tech stop out to make sure everything is calibrated correctly. If I can get it in my shop by myself then the money saved may be better spent making sure everything is working properly.

Why not join the FOG ( Felder Owner's Group) on Yahoo?
    http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/felder-woodworking

Euro machines do, in fact, employ a lot more electronics in their systems; some of which are to satisfy various regulatory requirements and some to provide certain functionality. My MiniMax slider has a bunch of that behind the panel, for example, and I've seen the same on Felder. Nature of the beast.

I personally have only had one electrical issue relative to the saw and that was over-voltage from the street that began to kick off the machine due to the over-voltage protection circuitry. That was fixed by adding a step-down transformer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This thread is from ten years ago.