Thread: Trim/finishing sets?

Trim/finishing sets?

I am not a woodcarver primarily, but need to get some carving tools for touch-up and detail work (flushing miters on moulding, etc).

Any recommendations for a good set, or should I just buy piecemeal for whatever I need them for?

I have a pfiel chisel set I have been happy with, and with a woodcraft locally I have them available for purchase there. Given my lack of carving background and knowledge, being able to see the tool and determine if i can get the use i need from it is a benefit for me, as opposed to ordering site unseen and hoping it can perform the function I need.

Thanks in advance.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I've read that the sets of carving tools that you can buy, are often not very usable. It is better to pick the tools you need, rather than buying a set where half of the tools go unused.

I would suggest a trip to your local Woodcraft or Rockler store. They have carving tools in stock and you can get a better feel for what you need. Woodcraft carries Pfeil tools(Swiss made), and they are very high quality tools, Rockler carries Two Cherries(Germany) which is also a very high quality tool but very expensive. Another option is to check out the vendor links on carverscompanion.com.

Good Luck,
    Dan