Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first cut

Blog Entries

first cut

Last night - after a couple year's worth of rebuilding a barn to work in, a woodworking course, tool accumulation, tons of reading and asking questions, adding a 220 hookup for the table saw, saving pennies to afford all this, etc. - I got the table saw tuned up and made my first test cut with my new (to me) Grizzly 1023.

I tell ya, maybe it's just me, but that cut will stick in my mind forever. The smell, the ease of pushing the board through, the sound. And, I think the road to getting there makes it all the sweeter. There's maybe less than two dozen events in my life that are captured in that certain place in my brain.

Is your first cut similarly burned into your memory banks?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Thumbs up

That was a good descriptor...well said! Congrats.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post

I don't remember the first cut, but I sure remember the first kickback that hit me (using a friend's saw without a guard). I use a guard on mine now, always have, but may have gotten big headed had that not happened and gone without one after a while.

Blog Entries
    I think good things have started with that cut. It feels great doesn't it?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't remember the first cut, that was about 40 years ago. But I do remember first using my then-new 1023SL, upgrading from a contractor saw about 18 months ago. Astounding how much smoother and easier it was. My SawStop may be a little fancier and a little safer, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed that there was no discernible difference in actual cutting.

Don't remember the first cut, it was at least 54 years ago. What I do remember is the 9th grade shop teacher showing us 14 yo boys the power of a table saw. We all got to watch him throw a board into the saw (all from a safe distance away) and see it get kicked back about 20 feet and embed itself into the door. That lesson has always stuck with me. I doubt that a shop teacher could get away with that these days.

My first cut was in 6th grade. I won every 2x4 cutting contest. Didn't matter which hand saw (we always swapped for the second cut to make it even-Steven). The bigger kids thought they could brute-force the saw through the wood. HA.

Same year I used a router (hand-held) for the first time. I didn't follow the guide bar worth a damned.

Table saw... I don't remember, but I do remember the first (and last) time I ripped with a RAS. I'll never do THAT again.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I felt a bit like that when I got my new saw. (not a Griz) It was sooo smoooth.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

That sounds like you need a new blade if its burning, or get it sharpened.

I went from an 8" Craftsman to a 10" Jet and I know what you mean, the cut was so nice and easy to make, and it even came out square.

Blog Entries
    I've been searching for some info today, and am combing through my old posts. My god, the patience you all have had with me over the years is amazing (and thank you once again).

This particular thread was a fun one to find though... I do still remember that cut, made in my very-not-optimized-at-that-point-in-time barn setup, and am happy to report that it did propel me towards a decade of woodworking enjoyment (as well as a mix of fine firewood production and actually completed projects)

:-)
    - Bob R.

Yes, the first cut on my Woodmizer sawmill.

Bob, enjoy the fruits of your labor especially the new rebuilt table saw.
    You are also indeed fortunate to live close by Hearne Hardwoods...a great resource with great people

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jardin View Post
    Bob, enjoy the fruits of your labor especially the new rebuilt table saw.
    You are also indeed fortunate to live close by Hearne Hardwoods...a great resource with great people

Thanks John! That old Grizzly served me very well, then I rebuilt it, then I bought a nearly new and nicer Grizzly from a neighbor... which is what I happily use today.

I used to drive by Hearne's on my way to client work each week, but never was able to stop at the time. It's about 45 minutes from here and I really need to prioritize getting there. On my list, and thanks for the nudge
    - Bob R.

Don't recall the first cut but I am 64 years old now and still have the first bookshelf I made when I was 14 . It's a little rickety and kind of rough but I'll keep it forever. Also have the gun cabinet made a few years later.

Always make the first cut with a species that smells nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...