Thread: tips for installing ZCI on bandsaw?

tips for installing ZCI on bandsaw?

Anyone have any tricks for how to install a ZCI on a bandsaw?

After attempting my first one, ended up with a little bit of pressure on the blade. Will need to double-check if the error was due to rotation (the insert has an alignment notch that seats up against a pin), or if it was in displacement when I was feeding the insert into the blade. The blade is pretty wide (3/4"), which accentuates any error.

Matt

Blog Entries
    I'll be watching this post to see if any good ideas come forward as I had the same problem with plastic ZC inserts I bought from Rocklers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here is what I for my Jet 14", now this is really high tech.
    In fact this tip made it to ShopNotes last issue.

Just some scrap MDF and 2 finishing nails with the heads cut off.

zci-1.jpg zci-2.jpg

I just fed it straight...

Frankly I found it easiest to do without any fancy jigs or push sticks... you just have to be careful. Just feed it straight into the blade...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post

zci-1.jpg zci-2.jpg
    Wow, clever, why didn't I think of that........
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post

I tried this without the alignment pins (I tried to line the kerf on the jig up with the the centerline of the insert based on the plastic moulding). The bandsaw kerf isn't very wide, so when I'm using a 3/4" blade, a very small error will cause a bit of binding.

I'll try it again after laying out for the alignment pins.
    (will probably also widen the kerf on my first miscut one, too -- I don't need a true zero clearance.)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I tried this without the alignment pins (I tried to line the kerf on the jig up with the the centerline of the insert based on the plastic moulding). The bandsaw kerf isn't very wide, so when I'm using a 3/4" blade, a very small error will cause a bit of binding.

I'll try it again after laying out for the alignment pins.
    (will probably also widen the kerf on my first miscut one, too -- I don't need a true zero clearance.)

Matt
    The way I did it was to make the base part and cut a kerf in it. Then with the blade in the kerf I measured and marked for the pins. I did drill a small hole to drive the nail into.

What I have found is if you are just doing straight cuts they will last awhile but if you are curves they don't last long at all. So I cut a bunch of them at one time and just keep them in a drawer for when I need them.