Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lighted Chess Table

That is just absolutely beautiful.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Almost finished

I bought an air brush because I wanted to experiment with the multi-tone finish that is on the original chess table. I tried my hand at air brushing today for the first time and it worked out pretty well. A few coats of satin finish urethane and I'm going to call it done.

DSCF8106.JPG DSCF8106b.JPG

I did a little photo editing in the second shot to see what it would look like in a catalogue.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

That looks amazing Ed. Love the detail and the finish is great. Very remarkable.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Thats an awesome piece Ed, make sure to follow up with a pic once you get the pieces for it!!

Finished table

Well, I finished the table. I'm including a shot of it with the lights on and another with it off.....and a third from a different angle. If I decide to turn the pieces, I'll start another thread. Thanks to all for looking and for your comments.

DSCF8108 (Medium).JPG DSCF8109 (Medium).JPG DSCF8110 (Medium).JPG

Wow Ed, nicely done and great tutorial. I will go back under my rock now....I feel inferior! Thanks for sharing the process.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Congratulations and thanks for posting your progression. Congrats also for orienting the board the correct way. I can't tell you how many times I have seen beautiful game tables with the board oriented incorrectly.

Great job. Inspirational to say the least!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It turned out great Ed. It was fun to watch the build.
    The only critique I would offer would be installing a more classic drawer pull.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Morgano View Post
    Attachment 158138

Not exactly like the sample but close enough for my purposes. Unlike Bret Duffin and Ernie Miller, that is a LOT of work for me for one day.
    Not exactly - it would take me that long just to get that chunk-o-wood up on the lathe - and then I wouldn't know what to do with it. Beautiful job on the chess table and wonderfully documented as well.

Ernie
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Great looking work Ed. But who are you trying to kid, you ain't got time to play chess!
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Great looking work Ed. But who are you trying to kid, you ain't got time to play chess!
    Liegh, You're right so far. My son Matt got the first Chess table and I just finished the second one that is going to my daughter. Now I'm setting up to make some chess pieces which I'll show is another thread. Here is a picture of the second table next to the first one. I changed the claw feet a little and did a cherry strip around the top. Other than that, they are the same.

Tables side by side.jpg

When I get finished with the chess pieces, maybe I'll have time to play. Thanks to everyone for looking.