Thread: Need advice on the possible purchase of a old workbench

Question Need advice on the possible purchase of a old workbench

Hello, Everyone.

I have an opportunity to buy what appears to be an old cabinetmaker's workbench in decent shape and at a reasonable price (~$100) from an estate sale.

As a relative newbie to woodworking, the owner of a hand built "joiner's style" workbench, and primarily a power tool user (router, sander, etc.) at present would the purchase of this bench be a worthwhile "tool" acquisition for my small shop?

If it is in decent condition. I would be all over that deal.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

It might be a good idea, but I'm not clear about the differences between the cabinetmakers bench you are considering and "joiner's style" bench you already have. What capabilities would the prospective bench give you that you don't already have? And what else could you do with that $100? Since you have a small shop, would the new bench be too big? What kind of vise(s) does it have? The vises alone could be worth much more than $100. Would you keep both benches, or sell the one you have?
    Lots of things to consider!

Thumbs up

I would consider for about 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Radice View Post
    It might be a good idea, but I'm not clear about the differences between the cabinetmakers bench you are considering and "joiner's style" bench you already have. What capabilities would the prospective bench give you that you don't already have? And what else could you do with that $100? Since you have a small shop, would the new bench be too big? What kind of vise(s) does it have? The vises alone could be worth much more than $100. Would you keep both benches, or sell the one you have?
    Lots of things to consider!
    a) As I understand it, the joiner's style bench is more for power tool use and furniture assembly whereas the cabinetmaker's bench is designed for hand tool use and stock preparation. (further clarification anyone?)

b) The new bench would have an additional shoulder vise, an unusual bench top vise, and more useful bench dog holes.

c) I could add $100 to the kitty for the purchase of a Fesdrool (er, tool) track saw that is on my wish list.

d) Both benches could fit in my basement shop and I would keep and use the present bench as an assembly table.

Thanks to all for your useful insights and commentary.

My only question would be "where can I find space for it?"

Hmmm -- an unusual bench top vise? If it's a pattern makers vise jump on it and sell the vise off; you'll probably get your $100 back and can then throw that into the tools-with-tails wish fund. Or could keep it and take one step closer to being a Neander.