Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Home Made Mobile Bases

"Pat,
    where did you get these casters? i really like them and especially because the lever
    is made of metal, so many are plastic these days.
    did you make the aluminum mount?"
    Swivel/lock casters from Caster City.
    Mending plate (aluminum) provides threaded hole for studded caster and crosses the joint to weld-up the corner. Yep, plate was culled from 1/2 MIC6 Alum. scrap, routed to size and drilled & tapped x me.
    An indestructable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    "Pat,
    where did you get these casters? i really like them and especially because the lever
    is made of metal, so many are plastic these days.
    did you make the aluminum mount?"
    Swivel/lock casters from Caster City.
    Mending plate (aluminum) provides threaded hole for studded caster and crosses the joint to weld-up the corner. Yep, plate was culled from 1/2 MIC6 Alum. scrap, routed to size and drilled & tapped x me.
    An indestructable connection.

Give me a plasma cutter... and ill make you eat your words... lol..

Here's the finished base under my PM66 as of TODAY! I used some "junk" 3" channel and 3x3" angle for the big members. It's nothing special, but it IS Heavy Duty! No sag here!

Legs at the outboard end allow for adjustment bolts to raise/lower the end height. 2x2 heavy tubing runs beneath where a drawer bank will reside. The drawers will have to allow access to the tilt crankwheel and router lift at the end. I need to utilize drawer space to the max for blade and accessory storage, plus router bits.

[/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    anyone else have any hand made mobile carts to show off? preferably wood?

Mobile carts for what? There are a million uses for carts... clamp cart, project cart, tool cart, shrimp cart, beer cart, snack cart, a la carte...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Mobile carts for what? There are a million uses for carts... clamp cart, project cart, tool cart, shrimp cart, beer cart, snack cart, a la carte...
    mike, you should go up top and read my first post

No need to be too complicated.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

OMG, Kevin, I don't know what the H$%% I was thinking. I must have really been spacing. Your original post is perfectly clear. Not only that, but I've already responded to this thread... Sorry...

Not that I think about it, maybe someone else started another thread that was similar, or I clicked on the wrong thread... I clearly remember seeing a topic that just said show me your mobile cart.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    no worries mike, probably partly my fault since the title of thread just says show me your mobile bases but then my first post said what i was using it for.

no biggie.

Blog Entries
    anyone else have any home made mobile bases you want to show us?

I do, I do!

This is what you called over engineered, but I have them under my drill press, table saw, jointer and band saw. Cheap and easy to make with what I have around. 3/4" ply base with 2X3, except where the caster mounts, that is a 2X4. All utilitize Woodcraft total lock casters.

Here is mine. Made from two pieces of angle and two pieces of strap. It is not attached to the bandsaw.

Blog Entries
    ben, your base looks like it would hold a tank! but maybe hard to get close to work
    at the machine or easy to trip over?

devon, yours is a nice clean fit and i might go that route if i had a welder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    devon, yours is a nice clean fit and i might go that route if i had a welder.
    Kevin, after I built mine, I realized that just the angle iron end pieces would have been sufficient. It would have to be bolted to the bandsaw base, to keep it in place. I would go with a 3"X4"X1/4" angle and put the longer leg underneath. Just an idea.

I dodn't know how I missed this thread originally.

I didn't build a mobile base structure or frame and except for the mobile base on my TS, I made my machines mobile an easier way that results in a simple, elegant mobile base. A few of the manufacturers, like Grizzly, must have liked what I did and copied me ( maybe?)

I mounted two fixed wheels (from Hartville Tool) in sections of steel tubing and attached them directly to the machine sub-bases.

I use a Delta-style step caster on the front- you can get the step caster by itself from Rockler (see link in Jim Rimmer's post).

On a 15" planer (I added a cross bar to mount the step caster):

On the jointer:

On disc/belt sanding station:

TS (I added new front and back rails made from angle iron and braced the extension table leg so I could eliminate the lower mobile base frame- future home of rolling cabinet)

TS cabinet (fixed casters and leveling feet):

TS extension table leg with step caster: