Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Post Your Home Made Mobile Bases

I used a Shop Fox mobile base for my rebuilt Unisaw applied to a 3/4" sheet of CX plywood and added a set of casters to the right side extension table so the whole saw is mobile. I made extension tables for each side of the saw table and a hinged outfeed table. This Unisaw has the dust pickup on the right side of the cabinet so I had to leave the space directly to right of the access door open. I built a cabinet under the right side past of the opening for blade storage and jigs. I can turn this saw 90 degrees for ripping long stock. Works great.

Do not want to hijack the thread, but I think this still will fit. Does anyone had a mobile base to drill presses, they seems to be more top heavy. I have two old rockwell/delat drill presses and thinking to add the mobile base, but worried they will not be stable enough?

Since my shop is fairly small (30 x 30) almost everything is on a mobile base of some sort. My PM table saw and shaper along with my Grizzly G0454Z planer all came with factory bases.

I usually build all my shopmade bases around the same concept--
    4" x 3" angle iron frame with the 4" leg as the verticle wall. 5" channel iron welded to the top edge of the 4" leg for the casters. This keeps the increase height to a minimum and allows the casters to swivle 360 deg.

Casters-- 2 fixed, 2 swivle, all locking..size depending on the weight of the machine.

Construction time about 2 hours + painting.

I have a HTC base on my drill press which I am not happy with. That will be my next project.

G0566 21" Bandsaw, G01071 OSS, G09983 15" Open End Wide Belt Sander, and a base for a G0609X 12" Jointer which is backordered until November!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nino Maini View Post
    Do not want to hijack the thread, but I think this still will fit. Does anyone had a mobile base to drill presses, they seems to be more top heavy. I have two old rockwell/delat drill presses and thinking to add the mobile base, but worried they will not be stable enough?
    As I've been thinking about making my DP shop stand mobile ... the thought occurred to me ... of simply putting a "shelf" down low on the stand, and -- if need be -- literally putting sandbags, or lead weight on that shelf.

Simply lowering the center of gravity should do the trick, and -- at least on my concrete shop floor -- I don't worry that pushing the extra weight will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    This one has "zero" non-swivel casters . . .

Steve
    How did you mount your leveling casters? Is it just angle iron?

On my Grizzly bandsaw, I used 2 15" pieces of 2" angle iron and bolted 4 casters ( 2 swivel and 2 with brake) from the big box store to them. Bolted these to the base of the saw stand.
    Total cost about $18.00.

Here's mine. 3" by 3" by 1/4" angle with 3" by 6" 3/8 caster brakets. the joints are lapped and fully welded at all the seams.

The casters are leveling casters from the bay. and make the saw a breeze to move.

I am going to build a cabinet and fill up the empty space.

2011-08-13_20-43-39_264 (1).jpg
    Last edited by brian c miller; 08-13-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    anyone else have a new base they have made for a certain tool?
    if so, please post some pictures to show us.

I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

Kevin,
    Here is the one that I just completed for my 14" bandsaw. You can see the build at this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d-along-thread
    IMAG0995.jpg

Blog Entries
    Darin, that is an awesome stand and i loved your write-up on it.
    come on everyone, lets see what you got?

I didn't post here before because I have only made one for the TS. I've adapted Hurk-U-Lifts for wooden stands, but this is the only home made mobile base.dscn2519.jpgDSCN2584.jpgDSCN2579.jpgDSCN2581.jpg
    The first picture shows the spot I routed out for the saw to sit down into. Second with it painted and the saw on it and the mobility parts in front, then with the casters bolted to it, and then a closer shot to show how the casters lift the saw off the adjustable pads. The final shot is of the storage cabinet mounted in the extension part.DSCN2683.jpg The casters store in the bottom of that cabinet. One of these days I need to paint them. The base frame is made out of 4X4 Douglas Fir. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.