Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music in the shop

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How many listen to music in the shop. I bet more neanderthals do than do power tool shops. I do both, so I can listen to my boom box.

If you do listen to music, what do you listen to?

I listen to everything from classic to country western. Today, I listened to an Arhoolie album. I'm curious if any of you know what this album is.

It is a 5 cd set my daughter gave me a few years back. There is Zydeco, jazz, folk, religious, folk and more. Chris Strachwitz toured dance halls, beer joints, anywhere he could find music and recorded it. The time span was from 1960 until 2000.

Visualize a period furniture maker in his shop listening to this genre.

I bet there is a woodworker out there that listens just to Rolling Stones.

Hardcore or metal. Hatebreed, In Flames, Throwdown, Five Finger Death Punch, Amon Amarth... stuff like that. For some reason, if its raining outside I listen to either Irish rebel music or acoustic music like Michael Hedges.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    What? No other 40 year old Punk Rock woodworkers out there? I can't be the only one... Or can i???
    punk in drublic still gets some play over my network every now and then. still one of the best albums ever. the rest, not so much cept for maybe some rancid or green day here and there.

Blog Entries
    I'm in! Play iPhone through a dock. Mix of Punk rock and Mod to Classical. Social Distortion, Clash, Jam and Agent Orange for example on the oldies. Green Day, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack for more recent fare. Downloaded all of the Beethoven symphonies last week. Guess that make s me conflicted like my woodworking - not truly neander nor completely a tailed tool user...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Oh my G, I would NEVER get any work done in the shop if I had heavy metal going... Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Krokus, AC/DC, Dio, Accept, awe man...I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

our shop is very loud. we wear ear muff style hearing protection. i put my ipod headphones on underneith
    works well. keeps me happy and not bored after cutting the same peice out 800-1000 times
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

My Ipod is hooked to a pioneer receiver, 6 speakers in the ceiling, and a TV.

You can find punk, (DK's, Black Flag, Ramones, sex pistols, clash, More modern also, like Green Day).

You can find classic country, Cash, Charlie Pride and Rich, Marty Robbins, Donna fargo, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Waylan, Statler bros, Freddie Fender, on and on. These were my dad's bands that have always stuck with me, never forget the Saturdays with the albums spinning, woodchips flying in the shop.

Other fav's, SPRINGSTEEN, REo, Cars, Tubes, Mellencamp, Stix, ABBA, INXS, Elton John, Billy Joel on and on.

Nobody mentioned Mark Knoffler, lead singer of Dire Straights. He is a favorite now, and as a woodworker check out "Monteleone" from Get Lucky CD. While not the favorite CD of mine it is good, Shangri La is better IMO. Anyway, Monteleone is about John Monteleone who makes instruments, and made Knofler a guitar. Awesome song. Google it you won't be dissapointed, well maybe.

Forgot the most important thing, PACKER Football on Sunday!
    Last edited by Rob Lindquist; 08-11-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Oh my G, I would NEVER get any work done in the shop if I had heavy metal going... Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Krokus, AC/DC, Dio, Accept, awe man...I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.
    Krokus !!!

What about Carcass?

I listen to (Rust in Peace and older) Megadeth sometimes, but not too often. It makes me want to stop woodworking and go play guitar. I always found in the car that it was a bad thing to listen to because it makes you drive faster. I realized that one morning on the way to work when I got a ticket for 76 in a 40 (there are 6 lane highways here where the speed limit goes down to 40 in some spots - you have to pay attention).