Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay vent....

I am puzzled.... Others stated that once someone makes a bid that the bin goes away... I have seen bids on things and the bin is still there... Is this an option or....???

My jet lathe had a buy it now of 199 and i wanted to ask the seller a question.... well when i went back to the auction 1 person had bid but the bin was still there.... needless to say I went ahead and bin' ed it...

So I am curious if we are talking about the same thing.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I am puzzled.... Others stated that once someone makes a bid that the bin goes away... I have seen bids on things and the bin is still there... Is this an option or....???

My jet lathe had a buy it now of 199 and i wanted to ask the seller a question.... well when i went back to the auction 1 person had bid but the bin was still there.... needless to say I went ahead and bin' ed it...

So I am curious if we are talking about the same thing.
    I *think* the BIN will stay if there is a reserve auction and the reserve hasnt been met yet.

Once the reserve is met I think the BIN goes away and it acts like a regular auction from then on.
    The worst part about mistakes is that you have to make them before you can learn from them.

I was under the same impression, that the BIN would stay there. I was thinking that if the bidding seemed to be header up to the BIN I would just purchase it with the BIN. But as soon as I bid it looks like the BIN disappeared.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem odd.

Maybe the seller is playing games? Who knows. With ebay you just NEVER know.

Im dutifully looking for a deal on a Leigh or Akeda jig, but not much is popping up. Looks like I might just wait until Dec and see if I can actually get a BC24 from the jig store. Full price stinks (especially when full price is HIGH), but as I look at more and more opinions on the Leigh jigs I find more and more "mine sits in the corner now that I got the Akeda" or "the Leigh is nice but I dont want to re-learn for a week"....
    Last edited by Chris Harry; 08-10-2010 at 1:23 PM.
    The worst part about mistakes is that you have to make them before you can learn from them.

If I don't end up with the Akeda jig I'll have to go with someone else since I have a deadline coming up for kitchen drawers. If I had to pick another jig I think I'd go with a Leigh jig since it seems to be the closet to what I want. I think it'll be a compromise but it should work for now. Unless I fall in love with the Leigh, I'll probably upgrade to the Akeda DC24 jig sometime the future.

Brian, for me, the weight is the X factor. I don't have a scale to measure, and I've tried guessing and it cost me. So, I put in flat fee, or free shipping and eat it (and KNOW that I'm going to eat it).
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hughner View Post
    If I don't end up with the Akeda jig I'll have to go with someone else since I have a deadline coming up for kitchen drawers. If I had to pick another jig I think I'd go with a Leigh jig since it seems to be the closet to what I want. I think it'll be a compromise but it should work for now. Unless I fall in love with the Leigh, I'll probably upgrade to the Akeda DC24 jig sometime the future.
    Id order a new Leigh in a heartbeat...its about the same (high) price as the Akeda BC24 that isnt in stock anywhere.

Whats stopping me is the fact that the Akeda is ready to go out of the box (for the most part), already has very good dust collection, etc. The Leigh needs to be assembled (not always a bad thing.......its nice to know the ins and outs of something), but really needs the add-on VRS for good dust collection and better router stability.

I agree about the need for the VRS. The dust collection and stability were the two big reasons for going with the Akeda. If I don't end up winning the Akeda bidding and end up going with the Leigh, I would only think about getting the Leigh package that includes the VRS.

Amazon and other sites have the Leigh packages that include the jig and associated VRS. The cost for the Leigh package is much higher than the comparable package deals that the Jig Store has for the Akedas but its not a bad compromise.

You can get the large Akeda accessory kit on Ebay for a really good price. Another reason Im leaning towards waiting for the Akeda. Id end up with all the accessories and the jig for a lot less than the equivalent leigh setup.

The only advantage to the Leigh at that point would be the extra templates (like isoloc, etc)

Has anyone done a search and noticed the BIN postings far outweigh the auction listings? Never used to be that way.
    Dave

I've found that there's 2 ways to bid on Ebay: 1- bid the amount you're willing to pay right from the start,and forget it..if you win, good, if someone outbids you,fine, you didn't get into a bidding war that leads to what the OP was about.... and 2- watch and wait and snipe at the last second ..legal but borderline bad sport. I've been sniped, and have won auctions that were failed snipe attempts..I don't snipe, I bid and walk away. most BIN items aren't usually a bargain..but some are and I've bought that way. I ALWAYS see how much shipping is before I bid. too many people trying to make $$$ from it, and I refuse to support it or them.
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Blog Entries
    I see quite a few items with a BIN price of 'X' and a starting bid of 'X' - a few dollars. Those items are usually listed 20 times over, so I place the minimum bid and wait... I usually win it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There are a lot of BIN items that are good deals on Ebay. I just bought some Dexter electric brake assemblies with bearings and seals for $42 each shipped last night. Trailer shops charge $65 without the bearings and seals around here. I saved around $100 on 4 brake assemblies to fix my trailer.

The parts come from a real brick and mortar retailer, not some guy in his garage if that even matters.

Smile Laser engraver for 40 $

US$ 40,00 in BIN
    US$ 16.000,00 for S&H
    cgi.ebay.com/New-CJQ-6040-Laser-Engraving-Machine-/180504066921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Quote Originally Posted by Norberto Coutinho View Post
    US$ 40,00 in BIN
    US$ 16.000,00 for S&H
    cgi.ebay.com/New-CJQ-6040-Laser-Engraving-Machine-/180504066921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

THIS is the crap that angers me. People selling a $50 thing for $2 and charging you $75 shipping. I know its to avoid the eBay fees but come on... their site has rules, they need to make money. Pay the fees or do something else but this stuff is dishonest. I never buy from these types of people.