Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Things Gas Stations Won't Tell You

10 Things Gas Stations Won't Tell You

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yes, very interesting!

Thanks Dave!

He buys gas on the road?
    Where does the author live? In a three gas station town ?
    He buys on the road? Because it's cheaper? Who is he kidding? Highway gas is beastly expensive.

Buying at non-branded stations is a crap shoot. Some of those guys buy their gas from gypsy trucker types many of whom don't clean their rigs, get the dregs from the suppliers because it's cheaper, and otherwise may have contaminants in the fuel they deliver.
    There's a lot that can happen to gasoline between the refinery and the pump.

FYI: There is a whole industry out the on the internet-S composed of idiotic know nothings who, being utterly unemployable and unfit for any purpose, are sitting at home doing really bad shallow research on Wiki (if they do any at all) and then plagiarizing the nonsense they sift from the web (or just making stuff up) create little web articles (it's called "content") purporting to be informative and sadly, rarely are.

I believe the purpose of this whole Content Generation industry is all about trying to accomplish two things: (1) To keep the search engine spiders attention because content - even if it is garbage - directly affects search engine ranking, and (2) to draw people into the websites.
    But there is no body of experts supervising the stuff that gets posted. That would cost money.

I have no idea is this particular article was created by such a process but, it seems to be full of hooey.

Blog Entries
    Most points seem reasonable to me, Cliff. I won't buy gas just off of the highway, if I can help it, but the price differential between one station and another a block away can be pretty dramatic.

Was there something in particular (other than the highway purchase) that stuck in your craw about that article?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Living in Cincinnati we are a Tristate area. Ohio, Ky, Indiana. We drive in each state like one may drive to town. Getting gas here in Ohio may be 10 to 15 cents more expensive than Ky only 10 min away on my way to work or shopping.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Most points seem reasonable to me, Cliff. I won't buy gas just off of the highway, if I can help it, but the price differential between one station and another a block away can be pretty dramatic.

Was there something in particular (other than the highway purchase) that stuck in your craw about that article?
    I don't know about Cliff but the "all gas is the same" bothers me. I did my own experiment a few years ago on my wife's new Accord. She was getting really low mileage compared to what Honda had claimed. She was buying gas at WalMart and Kroger. I asked her for one month to buy only Shell. It could have been any major brand, Exxon, Chevron, etc. but I just picked Shell because there a lot of Shell stations near us. Her mileage increased almost 5 MPG. We haven't bought bargain gas since.

Blog Entries
    Jim,

The gas sharing is certainly real... the mom & pop shops get filled with one of the known major brands of gas, just be out and about late at night or early in the morning when they get their refills. Interesting to see Ma & Pa Tucket's Gas'n'Go getting refilled by a truck with a huge Exxon label on the side. Detergents are added at the semi tanker level, with the driver himself adding it in once he has topped off ready for delivery.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    From the book, 1001 Things......

http://www.smartmoney.com/1001things/

Most of this is common sense or gripes about debit card fees or warnings about buying overpriced food at a gas station. Pretty basic web-based wisdom.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I live about a mile from a Sunoco Logistics site... distribution/storage site for petro products, including LP... Most of the tanker trucks going in an out of there are NOT Sunoco trucks... they are distributer's trucks, and they are seen delivering petro to ALL the stations around here... I've NEVER seen a Exxon, Mobil, Shell or any other major name truck around here, just the Sunoco Trucks and the other carrier lines that go in and out of the Sunoco site....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Jim,

The gas sharing is certainly real... the mom & pop shops get filled with one of the known major brands of gas, just be out and about late at night or early in the morning when they get their refills. Interesting to see Ma & Pa Tucket's Gas'n'Go getting refilled by a truck with a huge Exxon label on the side. Detergents are added at the semi tanker level, with the driver himself adding it in once he has topped off ready for delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I don't know about Cliff but the "all gas is the same" bothers me. I did my own experiment a few years ago on my wife's new Accord. She was getting really low mileage compared to what Honda had claimed. She was buying gas at WalMart and Kroger. I asked her for one month to buy only Shell. It could have been any major brand, Exxon, Chevron, etc. but I just picked Shell because there a lot of Shell stations near us. Her mileage increased almost 5 MPG. We haven't bought bargain gas since.
    All gases are not the same -- not by a long shot. My dad was a research chemist for one of the big oil companies and for a while, his job was to analyze the competitors to work out exactly what they were putting into the gas and whether it would do what they advertised.

It is definitely true that one refinery will supply many of the local Gas 'n Go, but just because the gas is coming out of the local Big Oil refinery, it doesn't mean you are getting Big Oil gas. The refinery can produce at varying quality levels, which they will sell to the local distributors.

It seems to me a lot of the observations were rather simplistic.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Ethyl corporation is headquartered in town here. A recent conversation by a friend of mine with one of their people shed some light on it to me. They make additives. It's apparently some brick or solid type product and they drop it into the tank while it's on the truck, if I understood it correctly.

So it might all be heading out the same formula, but once they drop that stuff in the tank, it changes it before it reaches the station.

He told me that they had all sorts of testing facilities here, and they extensively proved that gas with their additives were yielding cleaner, longer lasting engines.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

yikes..

...the thing that creates long lasting engines is a lack of manufacturing defects and clean incoming air and clean oil (i.e, a proper working filter).

I'd have been asking that guy what percentage of engine longevity increase the additives are responsible for. Anymore, I can't keep a car long enough to wear out the engines - the failing electrical bits on them start wearing out my wallet and patience (for the ones I can easily get to) before the engine is burning oil.

I have never noticed a mileage difference unless the comparison is 10% ethanol vs. just enough for it to be an oxygenate. I will generally buy the gasoline with the least ethanol I can find, though some counties have a 10% mandate, and sometimes you get 10% of it just because it's cheaper due to government waste. Otherwise, I buy the cheapest - branded or unbranded - that I can find as long as the department of weights and measures sticker indicates a passed test (there is actually a pump at one of the local stations with a "failed" sticker on it, not sure what the remedy is there - I guess it's waiting for the department to test it again before the sticker is changed to "pass", but the pump is still in service - figure that one out).

13. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Most points seem reasonable to me, Cliff.
    I didn't read the whole thing. The two statements I referenced gave me reason to blow the whole thing off. They could not have been more wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    yikes..

I have never noticed a mileage difference unless the comparison is 10% ethanol vs. just enough for it to be an oxygenate. I will generally buy the gasoline with the least ethanol I can find, though some counties have a 10% mandate, and sometimes you get 10% of it just because it's cheaper due to government waste. Otherwise, I buy the cheapest - branded or unbranded - that I can find as long as the department of weights and measures sticker indicates a passed test (there is actually a pump at one of the local stations with a "failed" sticker on it, not sure what the remedy is there - I guess it's waiting for the department to test it again before the sticker is changed to "pass", but the pump is still in service - figure that one out).
    David,

I would highly advise you reconsider your branded/unbranded decision. About 3 years ago, I had an 8 week period of 65+ hour work weeks resolving a major warranty issue regarding fuel system "gumming". We were able to trace the problem to gasoline from a certain big-box warehouse. The quality of gasoline is dependent upon the distributor. Unfortunately, it is also not price dependent. A periodic survey conducted by the Materials people for the company I worked for showed the highest quality came from a small Midwest provider known for having low priced gas. In the long run, you are better off staying with the branded gasoline.

As far as ethanol is concerned, there are a couple of things to clear up. First of all, the % of allowable ethanol is typically controlled by the state, not the federal government. (At least that was the case 18 months ago before I retired.)

The vehicles you see running around with "Flex-Fuel" labels are able to handle E85 (that is, 85% ethanol.) To do so requires significant component changes in the fuel system to handle the "corrosive" nature of ethanol - from the tank all the way through the fuel injectors. These changes are not inexpensive. The auto manufacturers recommend non "Flex-Fuel" vehicles to use no more than 10% ethanol and perform their durability testing based on such. Most states have the 10% limit.

There are states - particularly in the grain belt - which were talking about going as high as 25% ethanol (in fact, in the past 18 months they may be allowing this). Those customers will be replacing injectors, fuel pumps, etc., sooner than others.

BTW, the survey I mentioned above showed the gasoline in some states with 10% ethanol mandates to be running as high as 15%.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Not a fan of ethanol myself. I don't know what the state mandates here, but I know the county where my wife grew up (agricultural county) seems to have a 10% mandate, because every single pump there has 10% ethanol.

In my county, the pumps just say "may contain up to".

Not surprised to hear that it's up to 15% in some places given the blender's credit.

90% of the time, my gas comes from a BP station at the bottom of the hill. Most of the rest, it comes from a shell station at the bottom of the hill on the other side. Those are the two cheapest around.

I've never had any issue with fuel that I'm aware of, and I have no trouble believing that from time to time, some unbranded stuff could cause problems. I think it could happen with branded stuff, though. My opportunities to buy unbranded gas occur generally when I visit my parents or my wife's parents.

I have a bigger fear of having too much ethanol in the gas due to the desire to shave a few cents - for the exact reasons you mention. The people who want to pass a 25% mandate have no regard for the longevity of anyone else's cars or their time in dealing with seals getting eaten by ethanol.

Anything above and beyond being used as an oxygenate, and in my opinion it's nothing other than a vote-buying scam. If people want to do something with corn for energy, they should just burn it for heat, skip the tax credits and skip driving up futures.