Thread: Small shop redo / sander-drill press-chop saw and storage

Small shop redo / sander-drill press-chop saw and storage

So I finally decided to make my shop look more like a shop and less like tool storage. I work in a one car garage so space is at a premium. Might be some ideas for somebody in a similar situation to steal.

So here is what I built.......

12' long by 3' deep....Lumber storage overhead. Framed with Home despot 2x4s and 2x6's. Countertop is 3/4 ply covered with mdf. Counter is so deep because of storage overhead....and because I knew I wanted to build storage.

Sunk into the bench I have my drill press and chop saw. Because of how they are positioned I have 7'6" to the left of the chop saw blade. I built and extended fence for the chop saw with a stopblock. Drill press got a extended table while I was being ambitious (fence and holddowns).

Sitting to the left is my disk/belt sander. I was thinking I was going to have to build some slide out kind of thing but the sander just slides on the counter just fine.

While I was getting busy I built storage for blades (left side) and drawers for stuff (right side).

There is lots of lighting overhead and switches for Dust collector, Compressor, and lighting. Lots of outlets as well.

Still to come is dust collector connections.

Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job on the bench insets and overhead storage. I've been spending a lot of time recently getting things organized and optimized also. It sure does make life easier and building projects more efficient with a good layout.

Mike