Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G1023rl review

Grizzly G1023rl review

Well, I have ran into a few snags unfortunately. The first being the two throat inserts provided by Grizzly are warped. One is so bad it is unusable the other one is a lot closer but still almost unusable. The Second thing being my top is also warped around the back of the throat plate area. I don't have a feeler gauge at home so I cant judge how far out is but as you can see in the pictures it seems enough to warrant concern on my part. The Delta Contractor saw that this saw is replacing is basically perfectly flat from one wing end to the other. I guess I am going to get to find out about the Great Grizzly customer service a little sooner then I wanted to. Other then these two issues so far everything else seems to be working fine. I haven't gotten to trying to align everything yet though because I don't want to waste my time if the top really is to far out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Typing paper is about .005" thick. Aluminum foil is .002" thick-the common type,not the commercial type. A shiny surface makes the gap seem twice as thick as it really is. Try the suggested shims and see how bad it really is.

So I got 6 sheets of foil underneath the gap. That's .012 or there abbots if the foil size is pretty close to your .002 measurement. It does seem like the back left corner if you are standing in front of the saw is dropping off. I'll try shimming it and see.

4. Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    So I got 6 sheets of foil underneath the gap. That's .012 or there abbots if the foil size is pretty close to your .002 measurement. It does seem like the back left corner if you are standing in front of the saw is dropping off. I'll try shimming it and see.
    There is no way that I would be shimming the table of a new table saw to get it flat. No Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    There is no way that I would be shimming the table of a new table saw to get it flat. No Way!
    Agreed, and .012 "ain't even close". Hope this doesn't become a trend as a lot of folks are interested in that saw, I am sure Grizzly will get you taken care of, but unfortunately with the expense of your time and that "new car feel". Keep us informed.

Well, after being frustrated and walking out of the shop for a little while I shimmed it up and it ended up being what I would consider close enough. I am still going to call Grizzly tomorrow because I ended up using a washer and a home made pop can shim to get it right. One problem I see with this is I will now have to shim the trunion up this much because when I tilt it to 45 I am guessing the table is now going to be skewed out the same amount. I aligned everything up with the blade at 90 but didn't want to try aligning the 45 tonight because I knew I would get frustrated and end up being up all night messing with it and I have to go to work at 4:00 in the morning.The problem is I am pretty sure that the problem is with the cabinet itself and not the top.The only way to find out though is to completely remove the top from the cabinet and then check it for straightness. I am a little worried about having the top shimmed up the way it is because there is nothing supporting it all along the back side and I wonder if in 10 years this will lead to the table sagging in the back. I am afraid that if it is the cabinet I am going to have to ship the whole damn saw back and who knows when I will get another one. Not to mention all of the hours of work I have into getting this one picked up and unloaded and setup. I can't get over how bad the throat insert is though. In one inch it is out almost an 8th of an inch. To Grizzly's credit the saw came with the mitre slot aligned 1 thousandth out from front to back which I left because I have found that I like the blade out a few thou anyway from front to back on my other saw. I couldn't believe how long it took me to get the Riving knife set right though. I have never set one up before but I finally got it. I got my Unifence all setup and made a few cuts and I loved it.

Here are a few pic's. I haven't had time to get my new Dust collection set up But it looks like the under blade collector is going to work well considering just the blade threw that much of the dust out. The riving knife quick release is a little hard to use also but I don't really know how they coud have made it any different since I have never even seen another one before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keith micinski; 08-08-2010 at 9:30 PM.

Keith, I'm not sure there is much on the cabinet that supports the tip anyway. I took the top off my 691 to enlarge the holes in the cabinet so I could get the blade aligned to the miter slot. The lip is only about 1/2" wide. The ribs in the underside of the top is what supports it properly. If you are concerned about it, once you get things aligned up, maybe you could find some wedges that are thin enough to fit in to support along the length at different spots. It really wasn't as big of a deal to take the top off as I thought it would be. I was very leery of doing it. I wouldn't give it a second thought now. It would allow you to check the cabinet for square...maybe even tweak it if need be. Then try the top again. Could be that the saw was handled a little roughly in transit to you and twisted the cabinet slightly, even if the shipping crate wasn't damaged.
    Not that you shouldn't call Grizzly. They will want to know everything about this saw since it is new.
    Ever figure out what the little opening behind the insert is for? I'm really curious about that. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I was going to take that plate off and look but I was so frustrated I just wanted to call it a night. It almost has to be for some sort of future use or something because the riving knife and all moving parts of the trunion are in other spots.

Blog Entries
    Keith,

Just my opinion but I dont know that I would have done anything with that saw past your first set of photos and comments other than contact Grizzly. I think what you did was far past normal assembly of a new piece of machinery. Grizzly does have a great name in customer service, If you are now satisfied with the saw I still hope they compensate you in some way for what you did.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Keith,

Just my opinion but I dont know that I would have done anything with that saw past your first set of photos and comments other than contact Grizzly. I think what you did was far past normal assembly of a new piece of machinery. Grizzly does have a great name in customer service, If you are now satisfied with the saw I still hope they compensate you in some way for what you did.

PHM
    Agreed....
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I did consider just leaving it but like I said I am worried that it is the cabinet and not the top itself. I want to be able to call Grizzly and actually know what problem needs to be addressed.

That's surely disappointing to hear about you problems. I have one on the way and am wondering if I will have the same problems. I am confidnet that Grizzly will make it right. It is one of the reasons I went with Grizzly.

Well Grizzly told me to unbolt the table and let it relax for a few days. I am pretty sure that is going to be a waste of time but I am going to give it a try since I don't really need the saw right away anyway. They are tellinnme that 15 to 20 thousandths is acceptable which has to be a mistake because if my gap was only 12 then 20 would be an absolute joke.

Keith,

This has come up in several other threads inivolving other manufacturers.

I am pretty sure the other manufacturers use 0.015" for the specifications too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....