48 13.30%
  • Sometimes - when I think of it

15 4.16%
  • Sometimes - but depends on what tools it is

44 12.19%
  • Rarely or Never

19 5.26%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How often do you unplug when servicing your tools?

How often do you unplug when servicing your tools?

So - I generally do not unplug my tools when changing blades, bits, etc. Sometime I do, but it just depends on the tool and what I'm doing to it. How often do you unplug your tools? And - have you ever had an accident due to not unplugging?

Update - this is about 150 responses into the poll, and I'm amazed by how many Always or Almost Always responses there are. And yes, it's okay to answer almost always even if you don't unplug your Random Orbital Sander. Me, I hardly ever unplug my Table Saw, but Almost Always unplug my Routers when changing a bit. And DEFINITELY unplug the planer when changing blades. There are a few stories about bad starts that are really interesting. Thanks.
    Last edited by Stuart Gardner; 08-09-2010 at 1:28 AM.

I marked usually. I have a disconnect switch at the side of my TS that I always throw. And I virtually always unplug the router though I occasionally forget. DP, BS, etc. never.

OK so I don't unplug the drill press. But otherwise it is cheap insurance.

I try to when ever possible... but have had occurances where I am changing the blade only to look over and find it plugged in.... opps...

Drills and stuff like that, nah..

So I marked Usually.

Some things I always unplug -- the router comes to mind. I won't necessarily unplug the saw, but I have a lock on it, which I slip into place "just in case." I never unplug the ROS, but I always unplug the belt sander (after once plugging it in to find that it was actually turned on, and it went flying across the bench).

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

You really should. Years ago I had an old 6" jointer that would turn itself on at times,when I was completely away from it!!! Dust gets into switches and does funny stuff.

I'm reminded of the letter to FWW years ago. Some guy who DID NOT unplug his Makita jointer was changing knives. The phone rang. When he got back to his unfinished blade changing job,he idly flipped the jointer on. The blades and gibs flew out of the jointer and messed up the infeed table's edge.

He wrote to complain about the lack of help he was getting from Makita about spare parts. Of course,his stupid story completely deflected his intent,and he got no sympathy whatever over Makita's lack of customer service!!

He was lucky that the knives didn't hit him in the eye,wasn't he?

I had loaned my 12" Parks planer to a friend when I didn't have space to store it. He was also changing knives WITHOUT UNPLUGGING IT,when another friend came in,and TURNED IT ON. It ruined the gibs and knives,which they had to replace. It wasn't real cheap,either.

So,I ask you, SHOULD YOU UNPLUG??????
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-08-2010 at 6:01 PM.

If I am changing the blade on the TS, the bit on the router, drill on the drill press, sanding belt on the sander I have never been one to unplug the tool.

Now on a skill saw or jig saw or router used hand held I will unplug it because I could hit the switch. With the main power tools it would be imposable to hit the switch while I was changing a tool.

The way I see it is that an electric motor is not like a gas engine, you can't start them my turning them.

I am 65 years old and have been around electric motors all my life and I have never seen one start by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You really should. Years ago I had an old 6" jointer that would turn itself on at times,when I was completely away from it!!! Dust gets into switches and does funny stuff.
    Why didn't you fix the switch the first time it happened ?

Unplugging your tools makes a big difference in your electric bills

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I usually do, depending on the tool.
    Question for the people that ALWAYS do: does that include changing the paper on your ROS?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Since I work out of my garage, I am pretty OCD about unplugging when not in use. And pretty much always when doing any adjustments. Why wouldn't I?

12. I would like to be able to say "ALWAYS" but that would not be truthful. I believe "ALWAYS" is the right answer but I often get too engrossed in the project and forget. Fortunately, I am yet to have that disastrous accident.

I too have a disconnect for my TS. I actually will throw the disconnect if I switch machines so I feel a little safer.

Router - always
    Drill press - most of the time

I do my woodworking to relax, so I dont like to be 'in a hurry'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I usually do, depending on the tool.
    Question for the people that ALWAYS do: does that include changing the paper on your ROS?
    I marked sometimes depending on the tool, since I NEVER unplug my ROS to change paper. My table router too, but I have a remote switch so it's pretty hard to start by accident, and since it turns itself off and locks when it's raised to change bits I feel pretty safe. For other things I usually unplug. Probably not the drill press.

I voted always because I do.

My saw/shaper and jointer/planer have a locking disconnect switch as original equipment, so they're very easy, no unplugging.

My drill press I have to unplug, same as my bandsaw.

Same for circular saws, jig saws, electric drills etc.

You'll laugh however I take the battery out of cordless drills when changing tools also.

One of my cow-orkers has a great scar from a cordless drill that started spinning while he was trying to get the slug out of a hole saw.

Regards, Rod.