Thread: When you buy new clothing.....

When you buy new clothing.....

When you buy new clothing, do you wash them first or just rip the tags off and put it on?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I wash them first. Clothing from some places might have scorpions or spiders in it! Some people are allergic to the chemicals in new clothes. I'm not. I just don't like the way it feels when it's brand new.

My "new" clothes don't have store tags to rip off.
    Well actually, I do have a new pair of bibs from Cabela's.
    I wash em first...even those from yard sales and thrift stores.

Been retired for 7 years. Got enough dress clothes in the closet to last me for a good long time.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

mental note: remove the tags before wearing

re: washing
    I'll have to consult with the laundry fairy to find out what happens to the clothes after they enter the magic wicker basket. I always just assumed she knocks off the loose dirt, gives a couple of spritz of Febreeze and sets off the buzzer to let me know she's done. Washing would work too I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I always just assumed she knocks off the loose dirt, gives a couple of spritz of Febreeze and sets off the buzzer to let me know she's done. Washing would work too I suppose.

Mine just form a semi-solid mass on the floor. When the flies get overwhelming....

Fabreeze? What's that?

A comedian had a great line, I wish I knew who said it: "My wife asked me why I don't pick my underwear up from the floor. I told her that I didn't have a stick."
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I usually wash first. But not always. I wash first mainly because I don't like the feel of the "sizing" in new clothes.

New dress shirts always get washed before I wear them not only because they come stiff for display, but to get the wrinkles out. Some other clothes I'll wear right away if packaged, like socks. Pants, Pocket Ts and Polos have been tossed around, poked and prodded by who knows who, and have been stacked and folded several times by various employees, so they get washed. Sheets and towels definitely get washed.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    When you buy new clothing, do you wash them first or just rip the tags off and put it on?
    "New" clothing? Hmmm have to try that sometime...

Wash first. I hate the feeling when they are not washed first. Stiff and seem dirty.

Dar

I always wash new clothes prior to wearing them. I don't like to think about the bodies that might have tried the items on before I purchased them. I don't even like to try on new clothes in the store. If I have to do so I shower immediately when I get home. Okay, so I'm a freak. Funny, I don't feel the same way about shoes. Go figure!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    New dress shirts always get washed before I wear them not only because they come stiff for display, but to get the wrinkles out.
    Funny how things change. Used to be if you washed your clothes, they got wrinkled and you had to iron them.

Now we wash them to get the wrinkles out.

For the youngsters:

......iron... noun and verb. An appliance once used on a daily basis to flatten wrinkles in clothing before permanent press clothing was commonplace. ie: To iron one's clothes with a hot iron was to make them attractive to the opposite sex and acceptable to mother in-laws. Considered drudgery work. Ask your grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I always wash new clothes prior to wearing them. I don't like to think about the bodies that might have tried the items on before I purchased them. I don't even like to try on new clothes in the store. If I have to do so I shower immediately when I get home. Okay, so I'm a freak. Funny, I don't feel the same way about shoes. Go figure!

Just think, someone will purchase the clothes YOU tried on.

Now I've gotta take a shower.

I always wash my clothes before I wear them. I have always done it because I don't want to think all of the people that may have tried them on(some maybe going while commando). My wife never used to wash them hers first. She has since come to the dark side with me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Funny how things change. Used to be if you washed your clothes, they got wrinkled and you had to iron them.

Now we wash them to get the wrinkles out.

For the youngsters:

......iron... noun and verb. An appliance once used on a daily basis to flatten wrinkles in clothing before permanent press clothing was commonplace. ie: To iron one's clothes with a hot iron was to make them attractive to the opposite sex and acceptable to mother in-laws. Considered drudgery work. Ask your grandmother.
    Do you wonder why irons have a permanent press setting?