Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know someone struggling right now? Reach out!

Thanks for having the courage to post this Scott.

It's so easy to become complacent, especially if life is going well for you, and forget how others may be struggling.

Each morning I wake up, I'm filled with happiness to have another day ahead of me, and each evening feel some sadness that such wonderful life is one day shorter. It's easy to forget others are just barely hanging on, and might even give the appearance of being the happiest people around on the outside.

I think it's good for everyone to reflect on different approaches to take if ever around someone who is thinking of suicide. My biggest fear is I may say something to make things worse.

I do remember a friend who successfully talked someone out of it telling me what he finally said that helped his friend. After an hour or two of talking, what really worked was when he said:

"IF you kill yourself, you will never find out how things would have turned out"

-Steve

Lost a relative this way, too, and same situation, the relative did it at home and in a messy way. Another relative of mine was the trooper who got called to the scene.

It was a relative who had (apparently) beaten a serious bout with alcoholism, and who seemed to be on the mend, better than he had been in years.

It's been harder on his two boys than anything, and stunted how far they've gone in life.

People are tough to solve, but if reaching out and helping solves it for anyone, it's worth it - especially to their loved ones and especially if they have kids.

No courage needed on my part to post it. Just thought it was worth mentioning. As some have already said, there are chemical reasons that don't allow logic to be part of the equation and it's not much any of us can do in those situations, but you just never know if that one phone call or visit could help someone that just needs a friendly face around at the right time.

In our case, the info we are getting is that the night before, they had a kid related party, and he was laughing and joking and having a great time with all the kids. Went to bed happy, woke up, took his life. As some have said, trying to understand it will just frustrate you because you're trying to logic something out that is illogical.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, you and all involved will be in our thoughts and prayers! Thank you for posting this. It is a very hard situation and most of us know friends/family that have experienced this in some way. This is such a tough time in this economy and I agree, if there is someone in your midst going through a rough time, do reach out! I also understand the folks that don't show any outside signs when they are struggling, and one would never know.

Sincerely,
    Phyllis