Thread: My Hand Tool Toolbox

My Hand Tool Toolbox

I built this toolbox a while back and never posted it. It's my version of a design from Fine Woodworking magazine. At the time I built it, I was having some financial problems, so I made the toolbox out of my shop scraps. A neighbor of my mine put a wooden desk out to the curb so I recycled the wood and used it in my tool box.I used only what I already had in the shop and the only thing I bought was the piano hinges. Total cost including all materials was $29.00 Here's how I made it.

The case was made from 3/4 inch ply and the joinery is box joints.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/14.jpg

The back of the case is a piece of the lofting I had from a boatbuilding project. I left the lofting of the design show in the back. Looks cool, and reminds me of the Lawton dingy I built a few years ago.

Here is the pile of recycled desk parts that I used in the rest of the project.

Next up was making the drawers. They are all from the old desk. Box joints again.

This is a center marker that I made out of a rosewood scrap, and putting it to use. No measuring.

Layout of the drawers and center divider.

I had a scrap of rosewood left over, so I made the knobs and mortised them into the drawers so that they would not spin.

The finished drawers and hand plane storage cubbies.

The finished toolbox.

Very nice! Looks great.

Thumbs up

Great bit of re-cycling Robert, well done.

Thumbs up

Looks very nice.
    A clean project that you'll appreciate every time you build something.

I have never seen scrap turn into such a nice looking and useful piece of furniture. Nice job Robert.

I know the growing trend is to build a Schwarz style tool chest, But I seem to love looking at one of these every time I see one a whole lot more. I definitely need to get some of these other promised projects done and build me one of these.

Good work. I love the shop made drawer pulls.

Really awesome work! Economical, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...