Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Harpsichord Project

Latest Harpsichord Project

Hi all,

I've been here for a few months and I've enjoyed looking at some of the beautiful pieces being built by Saw Mill Creekers. Thought it was time to jump in and post a project myself. This is a single manual Flemish Harpsichord app. 79" x 34".

Thanks for looking.
    Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Now that's a kewel project! nice....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Absolutely beautiful! I think I'm looking at a whole lot of work here. How long did it take?

Thank you Jim - kewel is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Absolutely beautiful! I think I'm looking at a whole lot of work here. How long did it take?
    And thank you too, Ted. It took just about six months - but who's counting. Time flies when you're having fun.

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.

Kewl project and that looks like a pretty nice shop too!
    Thanks...Bob

Do you play them or just build them? I want to hear how it sounds!! Clips please? Lol.

Gorgeous piece, btw. You keeping it or is it destined for someone else's parlor?

Georgeous Ernie. I've always wanted to make some type of instrument whether it be a guitar or anything else but it always struck me as a foolish thing since I have all of the musical talent of a block of granite. I imagine George Wilson will chime in sometime soon since he's made several harpsichords.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Do you play them or just build them? I want to hear how it sounds!! Clips please? Lol.

Gorgeous piece, btw. You keeping it or is it destined for someone else's parlor?
    Will,

I play them, but quite poorly. My wife is a far, far better player than I am. This instrument will be sold (eventually). The first photo below is our personal instrument and lives in our living room. The second photo is an instrument I built last year. Here's a link to a slide show briefly summarizing its construction. The music you hear on the slide show was recorded on this instrument by Dr. John O'brien, professor of Music, East Carolina University.

Dave: Thanks for your kind comments. Remember, you don't have to play them to build them.

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Steven Wright.

Absolutely one of the finest projects I have seen posted!!! The YouTube link is phenomenal! My hat is off to you - a true artisan. Well done, Ernie!

That's pretty sweet! Curiosity is killing this cat! So, a few questions...

Did you string and tune the harpsichord yourself?
    There have to be "classic" dimension for a piece like that. Did you get plans somewhere or did you "de-construct" one?
    Is this your occupation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Strauss View Post
    That's pretty sweet! Curiosity is killing this cat! So, a few questions...

Did you string and tune the harpsichord yourself?
    There have to be "classic" dimension for a piece like that. Did you get plans somewhere or did you "de-construct" one?
    Is this your occupation?
    Jason: Perhaps a little background is in order. I taught choral music and music theory for 34 years. As a teenager I became interested in piano technology and, in the early 1980's, passed my exams and became a Registered Piano Technician in the Piano Technicians Guild. This led to many years of piano tuning and the restoration of grand pianos. At the same time, I 'discovered' harpsichords and built my first instrument in 1985. I was fortunate to live in the same town (in New York) as Paul Kennedy, a very accomplished harpsichord builder. He became my mentor and taught me the craft. I "retired" from teaching in 2000 and, in 2004, moved to North Carolina where I spend my retirement working 10 hours a day in my shop - building harpsichords.

So the short answer is yes, I string and tune my own instruments. The plans for the instruments pictured are loosely based on the work of the Ruckers family. Commercial plans are available, but I draw my own plans based on the Ruckers methods of construction.

John: I'm glad you enjoyed my little slide show. I greatly appreciate your kind remarks.

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.

Thanks, Ernie. From my musical training I know that being a piano technitian is a trade/craft that takes years of experience and fine tuning of the ear to be any good at. Very similar to actually mastering the instrument itself. The fact that you not only tune these puppies, but build them to such a high degree of quality, is quite an accomplishment. And, it sounds like your really enjoy it, too.

Alas, if I could only build a playable trumpet out of wood...

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Strauss View Post
    Thanks, Ernie. From my musical training I know that being a piano technitian is a trade/craft that takes years of experience and fine tuning of the ear to be any good at. Very similar to actually mastering the instrument itself. The fact that you not only tune these puppies, but build them to such a high degree of quality, is quite an accomplishment. And, it sounds like your really enjoy it, too.

Alas, if I could only build a playable trumpet out of wood...

Thanks for sharing!
    Maybe you can build one - check out this website and the soundfile at the bottom of the page.

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.

I understand your point partially Ernie, but the question to me would be how does a non-player of any instrument know if what he has built sounds good or is an abomination? I suppose you could rely on someone who does play, but that is inconvenient and you might find out too late in the construction process. My luthier friends contend that to have a really good sound a stringed instrument needs to be constructed so lightly that it is on the verge of self-destruction.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I understand your point partially Ernie, but the question to me would be how does a non-player of any instrument know if what he has built sounds good or is an abomination? I suppose you could rely on someone who does play, but that is inconvenient and you might find out too late in the construction process. My luthier friends contend that to have a really good sound a stringed instrument needs to be constructed so lightly that it is on the verge of self-destruction.
    You make a valid point - it is more difficult for the non-player, but far from impossible. Very seldom, if ever, is somebody's first instrument a fine instrument. I thought my first harpsichord was terrific when I built it. It wasn't. Experience is the answer here. You have to listen to a lot of instruments - talk to a lot of fine players and have them play your instrument. Listen to their comments - they are almost always constructive and almost never derogatory. Yes, it's inconvenient. On the other hand, even fine players are often ignorant when it comes to the working (and care) of their instrument. I don't believe that players have a better chance of building a fine instrument than non-players. They have to go through the same learning curve. Their only advantage is that they can play the instrument at a higher level. They may know if they like the instrument or hate the instrument by playing it, but chances are they won't know why.

I guess it depends on your goals. If your goal is to build a professional quality instrument, there are few shortcuts. Inconvenience, self-doubt, frustration, research, experimentation, stubbornness, and drive are all part of the learning process. Conversely, if you just want to make a single instrument for your own enjoyment, life is much easier. When I was working on pianos, I noticed that several of my clients refinished their own pianos. Almost all of these were big old uprights. They were quite pleased with the results of their labor. If, however, they had paid a professional a fortune to refinish their instrument and ended up with the same results they would be furious.

Of course, they best thing you can do is get a mentor, like I did. They will save you years in the learning process. For example, your luthier friends suggested that a fine instrument must be lightly constructed. My first question to them would be "why?"

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.