Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelbarrowing rocks into my living room

Wheelbarrowing rocks into my living room

I took on a little project to surprise SWMBO when she gets back later this month. I decided that a house in the NC mountains needs to have at least a little rock pile somewhere, and I needed a little more than paint on the walls. The wussy mantel that was there had to go.

This took 56 hours over 8 days (I don't watch much TV). I'm sure a pro could have done it in half that.

There is no way to describe the mess you have to make - even when doing all of the cutting outside. There are rocks everywhere.... you need a good supply to choose from. The LR is filled as is one half of the 2 car garage. I'm glad I put down cardboard and tarps. I should have draped the LR from the rest of the house.

The 'rock' is cultured stone and is very light. They sound like cinder blocks 'clinking' together. A lot of air entrained and VERY easy to nibble the edges with a good sized hand cutter and very easy to cut with a 4.5" diamond cutter.

There are 15 or so rocks from the property incorporated and 2 candle holders built-in. Still looking at paint colors... not sure I like the green LOML picked out. I'm partial to one of the rusts.

No, I've never done this before, but I've worked with concrete quite a bit. I don't have any fingerprints left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 08-02-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Looks great!

I will buy you a plane ticket if you want to do that in my house.

Wow - very nice. I like the brown color on the right side.

Wow! You'd think someone with this much skill could master the cereal thing. Looks great Mitchell!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I took on a little project to surprise SWMBO when she gets back later this month. I decided that a house in the NC mountains needs to have at least a little rock pile somewhere, and I needed a little more than paint on the walls. The wussy mantel that was there had to go.

This took 56 hours over 8 days (I don't watch much TV). I'm sure a pro could have done it in half that.

There is no way to describe the mess you have to make - even when doing all of the cutting outside. There are rocks everywhere.... you need a good supply to choose from. The LR is filled as is one half of the 2 car garage. I'm glad I put down cardboard and tarps. I should have draped the LR from the rest of the house.

The 'rock' is cultured stone and is very light. They sound like cinder blocks 'clinking' together. A lot of air entrained and VERY easy to nibble the edges with a good sized hand cutter and very easy to cut with a 4.5" diamond cutter.

There are 15 or so rocks from the property incorporated and 2 candle holders built-in. Still looking at paint colors... not sure I like the green LOML picked out. I'm partial to one of the rusts.

No, I've never done this before, but I've worked with concrete quite a bit.
    I don't have any fingerprints left.
    Nice job Mitch. Ahhh yes, it is so much easier to use your finger tip to grout than the tool lol. Been there many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Wow - very nice. I like the brown color on the right side.
    Yea, I do too but there isn't as much contrast as I was hoping for and going darker won't do it. I think I've got to go lighter to make the stone pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post

No, I've never done this before, but I've worked with concrete quite a bit. I don't have any fingerprints left.
    So, Mitch, help me out here a bit...

Your SWMBO is out of town and you're going to surprise her with this. Yet your LOML picked out the green color.

Does your SWMBO know about your LOML? (or is that the real surprise? )

Regardless, it looks great. Especially nice aesthetics on where you placed the larger stones to give it good balance. Frankly, I'm partial to the original green when you take the floor into consideration (but then I'm an engineer. The Design Office kept telling me I knew nothing when it came to styling........).
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    So, Mitch, help me out here a bit...

Your SWMBO is out of town and you're going to surprise her with this. Yet your LOML picked out the green color.

Does your SWMBO know about your LOML? (or is that the real surprise? )

Regardless, it looks great. Especially nice aesthetics on where you placed the larger stones to give it good balance. Frankly, I'm partial to the original green when you take the floor into consideration (but then I'm an engineer. The Design Office kept telling me I knew nothing when it came to styling........).
    LOL. Good catch. One and the same... most days.

The green gets to you after a while. I find it really cold and uninviting in such a large room. I gave the Mrs the slooooww noooo on painting the room another shade of green knowing I had this planned. I'm leaning towards an earth tone to compliment the stone.

I'm trying to be brave. And I've had it with Navajo White too.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Wow! You'd think someone with this much skill could master the cereal thing. Looks great Mitchell!
    I'm working my way up from 'spoon'.

Wow! You'd think someone with this much skill could master the cereal thing.
    who needs cereal skills when they can do that with grits.............................. errrrrr rocks

How about a dull brick or sedona red - it would set the stone off nicely and give you a warm cozy color...finish the other walls with a meadow green of some sort (not green, green - kind of a muted dry grass). Trust me - it looks wonderful!
    ULS X-660, 60 Watt
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Coreldraw x4
    & A very handy & creative LOML

Quote Originally Posted by Don Alexander View Post
    who needs cereal skills when they can do that with grits.............................. errrrrr rocks
    Oh, No! My secret formula for mortar has been revealed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Gill View Post
    How about a dull brick or sedona red - it would set the stone off nicely and give you a warm cozy color...finish the other walls with a meadow green of some sort (not green, green - kind of a muted dry grass). Trust me - it looks wonderful!
    That's not bad if I limit it to the FP wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Don't limit yourself to one solid color, either... there are textures that set off a wall nicely, patterns that help break it up (like the top half one color and the bottom half a second, separated by a faux painted chair rail, etc., or just draw some wild geometric designs on it.).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5