Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which way is your Focal Lens installed

I've experimented with the lens in my Triumph both ways. While it does work better overall (like it should) rightside-up, I've found that I can cut 1/16" and 1/8" thick Rowmark using less power with the lens upside down, and the cut edge is cleaner than I've ever gotten from my LS900. Why, no clue...?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

OK, To add to the question, on an Epilog Helix, does the o'ring go above or below the lens ?

This will affect the focal length.

(Mine is below)

Cheers,
    Chris
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Blog Entries
    If the O-ring holds the lens in, then whatever seems most appropriate to do that job...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Oh!! Wow!! I have always thought it was the other way around? out to the laser I will go and have a fiddle!! I will let you know(eventually) which way I find is best, the proof of the pudding is in the eating! Amos Thanks for all the input to this thread,
    Good better best, never let it rest, til your good is better and your better best.
    Omni Pro 3000 with 80watt Laser tube
    Gravograph M 20+

This will affect the focal length.
    The focal length is defined by the curve on the lens, no matter where the lens is fitted the focal length will be the same BUT may move in relation to the material surface (depending how far away from the material the lens is at any given time)

When switching lens's round to the right way up on a Chinese machine please be aware that China tends to machine a shoulder for the flat face on the lens to fit in, if you swap the lens round you will be tightening it up onto a sharp corner and risk cracking it. Fitting the lens convex down makes the beam more scattered, this can give the impression it is cutting better when in reality it is just a fatter spot with a deeper (effective) depth of field due to the scattering. Power density will drop as well.

cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 02-18-2014 at 9:01 AM.
    You did what !

6. I have an epilog mini 24 35W. The original lens are plano-convex 19mm FL 2". And now I have to replace the lens. Can anyone guide me if a meniscus lens produces the same, better worse results? Thank you.

better results usually
    You did what !