Thread: Hollow form with pedestal

Hollow form with pedestal

Bradford Pear with cherry finial and pedestal dyed black. I'd appreciate everyone's opinion, good or bad.

2. Woo Hoo! Wow, that one is a real looker! Very nice form, and I love the finial. Kudos to you! The wood is beautiful as well. And the pedestal, great balance to the overall dimensions of the piece. Top shelf, for sure!

Love this form! The body is one of my favorite hollow form shapes and it is enhanced by the elevation gained from the pedestal. The finial completes what the pedestal begins and looks like it would be perfectly happy sitting on the pedestal by itself. The nice figure in the wood adds to the whole for sure but this would be just as nice a form if it were done in a "plain" wood.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nicely done. The main portion of the form is just lovely, and that is some of the prettiest pear I've ever seen. The colors look very good together. I like it as is.

IF I were to look for something to change, I would consider making the slender portion of the base a bit thinner. It also seems that the top finial has a little irregularity in the curve coming up out of the onion. I always look at turned objects and think of changes that I might make.

Again, it's a beautiful piece as is!

Richard, like Double D, this is one of my favorite forms, and you have really nailed this one! Beautiful wood, with a nice finish. I like the black pedestal and finial, as well.

I do agree with David's comments, and would add a couple. Keep in mind, as has been said, all of this is so very personal, and opinions will differ.

On the lid, I would start the "sweep" lower - more in line with the top of the form, and then have a flowing curve up into the finial base, and correspondingly, I would sweep the upper part of the pedestal to a more shallow curve to transition into the angle of the form bottom.

The "feel" of the cove in the pedestal and the cove in the finial base should mimic each other.

But, having said all of that, this is a very beautiful piece, and one of which you should be proud!!

Very nice. The wood and shape are great. This is a very nice piece for sure.

very nice, it does need a finial and to me the shapes are fine, i would leave the bottom stem and make the top piece smaller proportionally, that is just me, i have not ever tried one with a pedestal so what do i know

Richard,
    It would be a real chore to find anything wrong with this piece. The Form is spot on and the Finial proportions are perfect. Wonderful work as always. My only criticism is, its not mine......
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

[QUOTE=David E Keller;1484958]

IF I were to look for something to change, I would consider making the slender portion of the base a bit thinner. It also seems that the top finial has a little irregularity in the curve coming up out of the onion. I always look at turned objects and think of changes that I might make.

I've had the same thoughts about that slender portion needing to be thinner.
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. This forum is the best!!

That's very nice Richard! It has good proportions and balance. I like it.

Very nice Richard. I think it rocks as is. Make any kind of change to it and it becomes a different piece subject to it's one critiques.

"The best things in life are not things."

Very nice work Richard! Great form! I really like the detail work on your finial - very clean! I do agree with some of the others - if the pedestal was slightly thinner and mirrored more of the curves of the finial it would help tie the piece together.

Looking forward to seeing your next turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!