Thread: Dust Collection Duct Size

Dust Collection Duct Size

I currently have a Delta Dual Bag Dust Collector (model 50-763 that is rated at 2700CFM) and am struggling in understanding what size ducts I should use to achieve the correct CFM for proper collection. Everything I have read so far seems to indicate that I should use a 6" - 8" main line from the collector out to the branch point at the device. At that point I can reduce to a 4" line to the device. My dilemma is that my Delta has four 4" intakes and as a result I don't see any way that I can use the recommended 6" - 8" main line duct. I have considered using a 6" or 8" main line up to the collector and then place a "Y" that reduces to two 4" lines that go into the collector. My question is --- would that be acceptable and achieve the same desired result. As a side note I have looked online with Delta to see if there was a way to change out the four 4" ports and replace them with a single 6" or 8" port or similar. I have attached a file with the picture of the intake area. I appreciate any and all advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Olet View Post
    I currently have a Delta Dual Bag Dust Collector (model 50-763 that is rated at 2700CFM) and am struggling in understanding what size ducts I should use to achieve the correct CFM for proper collection. Everything I have read so far seems to indicate that I should use a 6" - 8" main line from the collector out to the branch point at the device. At that point I can reduce to a 4" line to the device. My dilemma is that my Delta has four 4" intakes and as a result I don't see any way that I can use the recommended 6" - 8" main line duct. I have considered using a 6" or 8" main line up to the collector and then place a "Y" that reduces to two 4" lines that go into the collector. My question is --- would that be acceptable and achieve the same desired result. As a side note I have looked online with Delta to see if there was a way to change out the four 4" ports and replace them with a single 6" or 8" port or similar. I have attached a file with the picture of the intake area. I appreciate any and all advice.
    I don't have this unit, but according the this thread it sounds like you can take off the quadruple port to get to an 8 inch pipe, which you can reduce to 6 inches:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=50-763

I have the 50-760 that has a double port that I removed to expose a 5 inch pipe.

Hope this helps.

Roger

My 3 hp Jet had a dual 4" port. I removed it and went with 6" main.

I am not good with calculations like this. I have a 2 hp leeson and a cyclone looking prefilter before it. The guy that had this setup before me had 6 inch tubing going from cyclone to the DC. This si only 2 hp so should I be running 4 or 6 inch tubing (pvc is what I am going to use) down to each machine. I had one person tell me to run 6 inch down and then go 4 inch to each machine off of the 6 inch main.... any ideas...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Blog Entries
    Those four 4" inlets have the same intake area as a single 8" pipe...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have the 3HP Jet version of that collector. I upgraded to 1 micron bags. I have an 8" wide radius ell off the collector and then transistion to a 6" main. I have either 5" or 6" blast gates and transistion down to the machine port size at the machine. The long taper adapters work best. This set up has been working for many years with no problems. I used an amp meter and the current draw is within spec.

There have been a number of good posts about this topic here in the last year.

First, you need to look at that DC. Unless it has a 14" or larger impeller and a 3 - 5 hp motor it will not move 2700 CFM installed. That 2700 CFM rating is probably free air with no ducting, bags, or filters. If you haven't done so, I recommend you read Bill Pentz site to learn about CFM, static pressure, fan curves, etc. Depending on your background it may be a tough read, but stick with it and you will be much better informed.

That being said- First remove that 4-way adapter, then depending on the amount of ducting you will need (size of shop and number of tools) you need to decide how much $ and effort you want to invest. Most metal ducting, especially metal fittings, is much more expensive than PVC. I recommend the lightweight, thin wall, cheapest PVC typically used for ducting (ASTM 2729, S&D, Sewer and Drain, "solid perf"), which only comes in 6" and smaller sizes. Due to higher static pressure resistance and lower CFM capacity of 4" duct, 6" is the way to go and will provide the necessary CFM at each machine. Unless you have a production shop or plan to regularly operate more than one machine at a time, run 6" all the way to the machines (6" pipe, blast gates, and flex) and enlarge the machine ports to 6" also.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 07-31-2010 at 12:01 PM.