Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watco Danish Oil Not Completely Drying

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Actually, if it does dry, you will have a soft rubbery film finish that will easily scrape off with a fingernail. Oil/varnish blends do not produce a hard film finish.
    Can i put poly over that?

I ended up putting it on too thick which caused the rubbery mess. It soaked up the first two coats good with out having any excess finish to wipe off. I kept putting the finish on with out wiping the excess off which lead to the soft mess.

To rectify the issue I wet sanded it off with mineral spirits up to 600 grit (i think). Wiped completely dry, let sit for a few days and then put on one really thin final coat. There is not much protection but I really like how it came out.

Matt - I wiped on poly on the inside plywood panels for added protection, no issues yet.

IMG_2672.jpg

That looks georgous Keith.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

>>>> The first coat somehow sealed the wood so now the second coat isn't absorbing and drying in the wood?

That's exactly what it going to happen if you don't wipe off the excess after letting set for 15-20 minutes. Watco is not a film finish like a varnish. It is intended to be absorbed into the wood and dry there. If you don't wipe off the excess, it will impede if not prevent the absorption of any subsequent coats.

Also, read the application directions on the label and follow them. Two coats is all that should be applied to a particular surface. The surface is completely sealed after the second coat. Further applications just leave a non-drying oily residue.

When teaching finishing, I used to teach using mineral oil and 4/0 steel wool to remove semi-hardend oil/varnish mixture finishes. Rub in the direction of the grain and almost immediately wipe with lots of paper towels. Let it dry overnight and you should be left with the finish the manufacturer intended.
    Howie.........