Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signlab or Laserworx help

Signlab or Laserworx help

For cutting jobs, I use Laserworx which is basically a Signlab product made for Vytek. I think for all intensive purposes the two are the same, so Signlab users may be able to help me out on this.

I am running a job with both raster and vector cutting. I can not get the job to start from CENTER of design. I set the origin/home position/registration (depending on software) what should be the center of the design. In the plotter setup, I set the ORIGIN to be CENTER. From the PLOT menu (which I believe is also called 'machine' or 'cut' menu dep on version) I had tried all avaiable CUT settings: PAGE, WINDOW, SIGN BLANK (or material). Nothing works. I set the ORIGIN (home position) on the laser and it goes to engrave and cut as if if the ORIGIN was the lower left corner. Can anyone figure out what's going on? By the way, I am using v5.12

ps: Any Vytek users used any software other than Laserworx succesfully for cutting?
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

Paul, I also have laserworx and have done this many times. You need to set the machine origin at the 0,0 point and go into the raster settings on the machine and tell it to start from center and I think there may be a vector setting as well.
    I am talking from memory but when I get to the machine later today I will verify what I told you.When the machine starts it will run to the center for reference but then will actually start at the corner. Hope this helps.

I use Engravlab which I believe to be the same software. I use it on my mechanical engraver and it requires the the origin be set in the software to center or upper left and that the home position of the machine be set to correspond. In mine, plate size must be set as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by dean rose View Post
    Paul, I also have laserworx and have done this many times. You need to set the machine origin at the 0,0 point and go into the raster settings on the machine and tell it to start from center and I think there may be a vector setting as well.
    I am talking from memory but when I get to the machine later today I will verify what I told you.When the machine starts it will run to the center for reference but then will actually start at the corner. Hope this helps.
    Yes, I had done that. That's always a must even if you want the cutting job to start from the left corner and its a must if you are doing a bmp RASTER ONLY job. However, I am talking about a combination vector/raster job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I use Engravlab which I believe to be the same software. I use it on my mechanical engraver and it requires the the origin be set in the software to center or upper left and that the home position of the machine be set to correspond. In mine, plate size must be set as well.
    I had set the origin to be set in CENTER in the software settings. Still no go. I spoke to Vytek today and they said that they didn't think this was possible to do on a combination vector / raster job. I don't know, but I could swear I had done this before....
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

By the way Dean, which version of Laserworx do you use? I have the 5.12 and they just came out with version 8 but its an expensive upgrade, not sure if its worth it....

Paul, I am using version 5.0 that I bought in 2007 with the machine.
    I know I have done raster and vector together on the machine. I will try to find
    one of the files and send it to you. The person at Vytek to talk to is Doreen.
    She really knows the software and machines.

Just a quick ? getting ready to buy laserworx from Vytek for our Lstar 610 are you happy with this program or would you get something differant.
    Vytek LST610 FX2 3624 Laserworx

What do they want for the Laserworx upgrade?
    I bought my laser in 2002 and Laserworx in 2005 ver 5.3.
    Anyone that has version 8, is the interface more up to date or does it still seem like an out dated program?

Does anyone else feel abandoned by Vytek? Since I bought my machine I have not had any contact from Vytek, not even an email to let me know of software upgrades or any other information.

Thanks
    George

Paul, I am using version 5.0 that I bought in 2007 with the machine.
    I know I have done raster and vector together on the machine. I will try to find
    one of the files and send it to you. The person at Vytek to talk to is Doreen.
    She really knows the software and machines.
    I dont have a problem with doing vector and raster together per se, I just have a problem doing them together and start (home position, origin) in the CENTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat PJ Johnson View Post
    Just a quick ? getting ready to buy laserworx from Vytek for our Lstar 610 are you happy with this program or would you get something differant.
    If you want vector cutting, you don't have a choice. You can only vector with Lawserworx. (at least officially, although if you can get a UCJ or HPGL file some other way, it might work). I have 5.12. You will get version 8. It would be a great program, if it wasn't ancient. Its just not up to what I'm used to in terms of how a professional program should behave/look/feel. You'll probably like v8.

Quote Originally Posted by George Skinner View Post
    What do they want for the Laserworx upgrade?
    I bought my laser in 2002 and Laserworx in 2005 ver 5.3.
    Anyone that has version 8, is the interface more up to date or does it still seem like an out dated program?

Does anyone else feel abandoned by Vytek? Since I bought my machine I have not had any contact from Vytek, not even an email to let me know of software upgrades or any other information.
    They want $2,000 new, $1,000 as upgrade. Its crazy. Vytek has never initiated any contact either, but I do have to say I found them helpful and fast when I needed help....except regarding Laserworx of course.

I wonder how hard it would be for someone to use epilogs interface for there laser to work on vytek machine.
    Last edited by Pat PJ Johnson; 08-03-2010 at 2:55 PM.
    Vytek LST610 FX2 3624 Laserworx

Quote Originally Posted by Pat PJ Johnson View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be for someone to use epilogs interface for there laser to work on vytek machine.
    Now this is something I would like to find out myself. I am looking at a Vytek but I am not liking what Im hearing about the need of laserworx to run it. I am spoiled by ULS with their print drivers to where I can just cut or even engrave right out of corel or autocad. I have no need in some fancy $2000 software as I do almost 99% vector cutting. The only reason I am looking into a vytek is because I need a larger cutting area. I hope to talk with ULS Monday to see if i could adapt their control board and use their drivers to run a vytek machine. I will put it this way, I would much rather spend $2000 on a new control board setup than buy Laserworx. ULS has a awesome setup.

IF anyone has more info on doing this please post it.

Thanks
    Mike

Have you looked at Kern laser. They have some larger bed size machines.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Kern systems seem to be way out of my price range. ULS XL systems are now becoming affordable but they are hard to find. Vytek systems are all over the place but have low power and I do not think the machines are supported all that well by Vytek. I am looking to spend about 20K max on a system right now. I have seen a good many very nice systems sell for that or less over the years but I was not in the market at those times.

After several years of using both Engravlab and Corel there's no way I'd ever buy Engravlab if I didn't have to have it to operate my Newing Hall machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm with you Mike. I have also been using EngraveLab (now up to version 8) for many years and I would never buy it unless I have to use it. I would love to be able to drive my engravers with Coreldraw as it's far more user friendly.
    Last edited by Hilton Lister; 11-26-2011 at 2:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired