Thread: PC or Akeda DT jig

PC or Akeda DT jig

My wife is going to get me a dovetail jig for Christmas. I think I will pass on the Leigh, mainly for the learning curve and if I need really fancy DT's I'll hand cut them.

Does anyone have experience with both the PC 7116 (now 7216) and the Akeda. I like the features of the Akeda but I am leaning towards the PC because it cuts a BDT in one pass and is meant more as a production jig (what I want) than the Leigh. The 7216 also has an adjustable TDT attachment in the box.

I can get the 7216 for $349. The Akeda with extras is $500.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Michael,

Maybe you should take a look at this site

http://www.benchmark.20m.com/article...rsusAkeda.html

Thanks Wayne.

I have removed the Leigh from the short list and have seen this and other favorable reviews of the AKeda.

Still leaning towards the PC.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

With the PC, you are limited to half blind dovetails or full box joints. I haven't seen the new one that PC is putting on the market soon. Price wise, the PC is less expensive. I like the Akeda because it is more versatile. Also, Whiteside as well as some other companies are now making bits for the Akeda, so you're not stuck with the ones that come with it.

If you don't feel you need the flexiblity of the Leigh, then the Akeda really should also go from your list. Just buy the PC.

That said, I don't feel that there is any more "learning curve" on the Leigh or Akeda than there is on a simpler jig such as the PC, especially with the incredibly well written instructions. And even if you don't do "fancy" joints, the ability to do both through and half-blind dovetails in almost any thickness of material is also a nice feature that will be missed on the jigs that are pretty much aimed at 1/2" and 3/4" stock. I'm writing this for general discussion, however, and it's always most important to pick a tool that best suits your needs. It sounds like the PC is the way to go for that reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Everyone I know (including myself) that started with a PC dovetail jig later graduated to the Leigh. Not only does it cut more types of dovetails, but it has variable spacing (Think of a drawer or box that is an odd height - not a multiple of a half inch). And think of drawer sides that should be "delicate" meaning less than a half inch thick.

As Jim suggests, I find the Leigh is very easy to use despite the thick manual. In fact, I find it faster to set up and use than the "simple" PC jig. In fact, the only time I have cut a bad set of dovetails with the Leigh were one time when I was demonstrating how to use it - I had the wrong bit in the router.

If you still prefer the PC jig, I can give you a great deal on the 12 inch....

Michael,

I have the Akeda and love it. I use it 2 or 3 times a year...... it's extremely easy to set up and a cinch to produce perfect dovetails. If you don't need more than 16" capacity, and don't need infinitely variable spacing (Akeda is limited to 1/8" increments, which is infinite enough for me), it's very hard to beat. Dust collection is also second to none. Search the archives for a detailed review I did a while back. Dave.