Thread: SawStop gloat?

SawStop gloat?

Was shopping for a combo machine but decided it probably wasn't going to fit down the stairs.

Found a SS ICS on auction locally.
    http://www.mybidmn.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?mybidmn1/1
    Got it for $2300 w/premium & tax

Haven't seen it yet, hopefully nothing catastrophically wrong with it. Fortunately I have 2 spare 220V, 1ph SS motors at work from warranty replacement, (might need a new control station and/or contactor to switch from 3ph).

If nothing else, I figure I can probably turn it around without losing any money.

I guess it looks like I'm going to put a shop together in the basement.

Anybody got a: 14" resaw, 10" or 12" jointer/planer/mortiser, drill press, dust collector and/or air filter? I'll try to forgo any sanders until I can get the shop out of the house.

Cheers!
    -kg

That will certainly be gloat worthy if it checks out, looks to be in excellent shape.

If this works out for you - congratulations! I bought a new in box 2007 SawStop ICS equivalent through GC Peterson, but had to pay $450 shipping from Atlanta or something like that, not to mention the price was quite a bit more than what you are getting.

TJ in St. Paul.

I found one for a similar price

I bought my SS ICS (5 years old and in excellent shape) for $2200.....36" fence, 3hp, single phase.....I was very happy. Go for it. bob

The SS is in the house (literally).

It was a bit of an ordeal getting it into the basement.

After breaking it down to the cabinet + innards (without motor) and standing at the top of the stairs contemplating whether I wanted to be featured in the 2011 Darwin Awards, I decided I needed to make the saw into more (thus lighter) pieces. I reviewed the exploded drawings and tuning instructions in the SS manual and determined that the arbor assembly and trunnion plates could be removed pretty easily without catastrophic results. So, with the removal of 8 bolts and a couple of wires I had pieces light enough to haul down the stairs (though the arbor assembly was still ~90lbs without the motor attached). A later call to SS confirmed that the arbor is basically "self contained" and removing it from the cabinet should not radically affect alignment.

The up-side to having taken the saw apart so far is that I had the chance to closely inspect and thoroughly clean and wax (or otherwise lube) all of the moving parts. This saw is remarkably easy is dis and re-assemble, I would not hesitate to dig into it again though I doubt I will have to until I need to get it out of the basement. FYI, it is hard to clear dust/chips from the area in front of the blade where the elevation screw and guidepost reside even when the arbor assembly is completely removed from the saw.

The saw looks great, this machine appears to have been gently used: no scratches, gouges or dents, paint is like new, the rip fence is un-cut. There was some light oxidation on the top and bunch of very light "half moon" divots where it appears some dolt was hammering something with a punch or set-screws sticking out. No problem functionally and the top waxed up nicely.

Once I got the saw, tables, fence, etc.. all back together (~90min) all I had to do was align the miter slot to the blade (with SS's convenient adjusting set-screws) and all is well. With the blade at 90 or beveled to 45, the saw is parallel within .002".

Still need power and the magnetic starter ($100 from SS) so I haven't had a chance to run the saw yet.

Now shopping for 14"-17" bandsaw, 10" or 12" J/P, dust collector, drill press, ? I'll probably put a router in the outfeed table. Machines will fit in ~ 22' x 13', there is a bench space of ~10' x 15'.

I'll probably start a thread in the "Workshops" forum as I progress.

Cheers and good luck.

-kg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrat's! Looks great (not because I have the same saw with a 3HP 1PH motor ).
    I too had to break it into pieces to fit it into my car to take home as well as take it to the basement. The only extra pain was a turn in the stairs going down with no landing.
    These saws are very well engineered and as you have noticed there is a way to adjust almost everything.

Enjoy making dust with it!

Great job of getting it in the basement. I wold never try that down the stairs because I would make the Darwin awards, as well as the obituary column.

Congratulations - Kevin. Glad to hear you got it downstairs will minimal problems. If goes as planned, I'll be doing the same in next few weeks.

Nice work! Yr gonna love yr SS (I love mine!). Love to hear your impressions of the DC... Mine are mixed. I think I need a bigger vac on the top.

One of the most gratifying experiences I had was figuring out how to disassemble my bandsaw so I could move it without help. Gave me a whole different appreciation for how these things are constructed.

So, I feel yr pride....

I put in a ClearVue cyclone - that was a pretty fun project. I'm having the same problem that I'm sure everyone else is with the stock guard - there's still quite a bit of dust that gets shot out of the saw through the guard - I'd guess 10% - 20%. Someday I'll get one of the aftermarket ones with a DC port on the guard.

I had the same stair situation

To get all my WW equipment in my basement shop, I had to negociate a 90 degree turn at both the top and bottom of the stairwell...the SS wasn't too bad using a appliance dolly, though it took 3 of us. I didn't remove the guts, but the tables, fences, and the switch, wheels and other protruding stuff....the worst tool to move was my Oneway lathe....bed alone is 450 lbs....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornish View Post
    there's still quite a bit of dust that gets shot out of the saw through the guard
    That's really my only gripe with my SS. It's like they never thought someone might trim a board, if your waste doesn't cover the blade sawdust goes flying everywhere. A much smarter design would be the individual parallel slides like the PM2000.

Popular Woodworking has this on Cincinnati Craigslist right now for $2,100
    Was only used in a review for the magazine.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1884426865.html
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Congrats on a very good deal. It looks like it took a lot of work to get it into your basement but I'll bet you'll find it all worth while when you get to use it on your next major project.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb