Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No. 12 Walnut Coin Bowl (The fix is in)

very nice bowl

I made a very similar "coin bowl" out of Badi, but it turned out that getting the coins out with the undercut rim was a pain.

That is truly a nice looking bowl. Well done!

Joshua

I really like the form Jim. Nice save and a very nice bowl.

Very nice, the brass ring looks great!

Way to go! Looks great. Good save. I wish my last "save" had worked out so well...
    David DeCristoforo

really nice, i love the finish

Nice save. I like that general form and have done a few myself. Well done.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very nice work!

Looks great and now I know what to do with the 4/4 walnut board I have in my garage.

Thanks everyone for your comments. My inspiration comes indirectly from SMC and directly from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Achey View Post
    I like the form and the inlay, James. I like having small coin-type bowls around the house and as gifts. Nicely done.

Terry
    Terry I am good at copying others work but generally lack true originality. This is the first bowl I have turned that I felt was an original. I had a vision of a plate with the brass inlay but had not even thought of a coin tray, until I got it done that is, it was only then that I realized that it looked familiar... a coin tray, dang I thought I really had something original.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hutchinson View Post
    Good save, I didn't notice the repair. The brass filings inlay is also a nice feature.
    William, the one photo shows a hairline crack toward the top right side just below the rim and in another photo you can see two dark areas. Those are patches for the pieces I couldn't find.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    James, I recall the mess you had when it exploded. I can't see where you repaired it. What a great save effort, and a beauty from any angle.
    Fred, for a save I guess it didn't turn out too bad based on all the feedback I'm getting

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Singer View Post
    I really like it but I have to know how you do the inlay. Are the brass filings mixed with CA? I can see myself covered with shiny brass sparkles after i try to put the stuff in the recess.
    Paul, & everyone else that commented on the inlay: Obviously the first thing is to cut a grove where you want the inlay. I then procured key maker machine grindings from Loews and mixed them with 5 minute epoxy. I pressed the mixture into the grove to overflowing and let it set over night then just turned off the excess down to fresh wood.

Actually I was hoping the fillings wood be a little brassier after the turning but as it turned out I think the understated brass color turned out better.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Nicely done. I like the rim detail and the band of brass.

How much do you charge to fix broken bowls? Nothing I've ever tried to patch has turned out as nice, so I'm thinking you may be the guy to send my broken bowls to.
    David, I doubt that your bank account is big enough

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Van Atta View Post
    I made a very similar "coin bowl" out of Badi, but it turned out that getting the coins out with the undercut rim was a pain.
    Frank, I am hoping that I won't have to find that out. I am going to a craft sale next month and it will be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post
    Looks great and now I know what to do with the 4/4 walnut board I have in my garage.
    Wayne, Glad I can return the inspiration favor (see beginning of this post.)

"The best things in life are not things."